Pages

Thursday 9 June 2011

Cordeguay: The National Flag

As part of my preparations for organising the Army of Cordeguay for its forthcoming 'outing' against the evil forces of Forbodia, I needed to design a flag. After looking through a host of different designs for national flags, I decided to use Chile's as the basis for Cordeguay's National Flag.

The Chilean National Flag


The Cordeguayan National Flag


The basic designs of the flags are the same, but the colours chosen for the Cordeguayan National Flag each represent some aspect of the country's geography or history.
  • Green: Represents the fertile plain where the majority of the country's crops are grown.
  • Yellow: Represents the sand of the Arrida Desert, where the nitrates are extracted.
  • Red: Represents the blood of Cordeguayans that was spilt during its struggle for independence.
  • The White Star: Represents both purity and reminds all Cordeguayans of the role General Molivar – whose personal standard had a white star at its centre – played in the liberation of Cordeguay.

14 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're making progress. I designed the Forbodian flag back in January but it has yet to be seen on anything other than a box label!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the flag of Cordeguay looks better than its 'historical' prototype!
    The colors are reminiscent of the 'Rasta' movement: is it well implanted in Cordeguay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim,

    I would be interested to see what the Forbodian flag looks like.

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. Thanks for the limbers, guns, and model Rolls Royce; they make great additions to my FLW collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abdul666,

    I must admit that I had not realised the significance of the colours I had chosen to use!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was there not an Irish frigate captain dismissed in disgrace from the RN who played a part in the liberation of Cordeguay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is Cordequayan (sp?) wine as good as chilean?

    PD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Conrad Kinch,

    I think that there was ... but his name escapes me for the moment. I will no doubt write about him when I can do some more 'research' into Cordeguayan 'history'.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice design. It thought it looks like it could be of East African origin, kind of like abdul666 said, perhaps a little to do with the rasta movement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peter Douglas,

    I understand that the Cordeguayan wine growers produce some excellent vintages, and they produce a Sherry-like wine which the Quinca like to drink of special occasions.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ray Rousell,

    As I wrote in reply to abdul666, the colour choice was purely by chance ... although on reflection, I had been teaching a Rastafarian student earlier that day, so the colours may have unconsciously 'stuck' in my mind.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Conrad Kinch raises an interesting issue. I deduce the frigate captain must surely be the notorious rake, card-sharp and duellist, Captain Tobias Trumpeter, whose exploits in HMS Hermaphrodite during the Great War with France, were the inspiration for a series of popular nautical novels by an author who used the pseudonym Parmenio Essex.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arthur1815,

    I believe that you may well be right!

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. Parmenio Essex ... nice play on words, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bob,

    You will have realised, I trust, that Trumpeter's exploits were also used as source material for the 'Rampage' series [On the Rampage; Rampage Below Decks; Rampage in the Bilges, and Rampage Ashore] by the Bishop of Walsall!

    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  14. Arthur1815,

    I must admit that I was always a little bit troubled by the similarities between the two series of stories, but now that you have pointed this out, it is blindingly obvious!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.