Pages

Saturday 11 June 2011

COW2011: The final preparations are under way

COW2011 (the Conference of Wargamers) takes place in four weeks time. In fact it begins on Friday 8th July, so in four weeks time we will actually be well into the first morning of the conference.

Because Tim Gow and I are the conference organisers, our preparations for COW are not confined to just getting our sessions ready; he prepares the whole COW programme (including the timetable), and I deal with the administration. So far this morning I have sent out the final payment reminders to those members who have yet to pay in full as well as a cheque and list of attendees to the venue, Knuston Hall.

Over the next week or so I will have to process the final payments made by attendees, sent a final list (and payment) to Knuston Hall, print copies of the programme that Tim will send me and post them out to the attendees, and do all those small but vital jobs that organising any event seem to require. I also need to prepare for my two sessions. The first will be devoted to my PORTABLE WARGAME rules, and will describe how they were developed to date and then - the most important part - give session attendees the opportunity to fight a battle with them. The second session will be a battle using the FUNNY LITTLE WARS rules. This will see the first outing of the as yet to be organised Cordeguayan Army, when it will face the might of Forbodia across the Knuston Hall lawn (or in the Practical Room, if wet!).

All this will be taking place during the last few weeks before my retirement from full-time work and whilst my wife and I are trying to find a new home for my father-in-law (and selling his old one) and my brother and I are supervising the sale of my father's house.

The next few weeks are likely to be quite busy (that is a bit of an understatement, by the way!) and I may not be able to blog quite as often as I have over recent months. That said, as I find blogging to be an excellent way to relieve some of the tensions that build up during the day, I may well end up blogging even more than usual!

4 comments:

  1. I am sure you will cope, it seems to be in your nature.

    I am looking forward to attending COW some time, hopefully within 2-3 years.

    I have finally been putting a little effort into resurrecting my war game interests too.

    3 paragraphs all beginning with "I".. hmmmm.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arthur,

    I will have to cope, won't I!

    I look forward to seeing you at COW at some time in the future.

    I hope that you do manage to revive your interest in wargaming.

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. I also managed three paragraphs starting with "I" (four if you count this one!), so it must be catching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob,

    The 'Funny Little Wars' game should feature some effort at period costume methinks - perhaps a nice burgundy smoking jacket and one of those small hats with a tassle for you whilst the rakish Mr Gow should have a straw boater and should grow a carefully waxed moustache.....;-)

    Perhaps some brandy, port and cigars should also feature....

    I am really looking forward to the pictures in due course.

    Viva Cordeguay!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Crook,

    I shall be wearing appropriate clothing; a blazer, flannels, cravat, and sun helmet. Mr Gow will no doubt be similarly attired.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.