Pages

Sunday 13 November 2011

Memoir of Battle revisited

This afternoon I was looking through my file of 'work in progress' documents that I keep next to my personal computer when I found a copy of the last draft of my MEMOIR OF BATTLE rules. It struck me that they needed tidying up ... and that is exactly what I have done. I used a similar format to that I used in the most recent draft of my PORTABLE WARGAME 2 rules, and although I say it myself, they look much better as a result.

I am not sure if I will use these rules at some time in the future, but I did find the process rather therapeutic and it helped raise my spirits.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    That is the thin end of the wedge - now that you have redrafted them the urge to try them out will be overwhelming and more than mortal man can endure.

    In my experience actually tackling something unexpected can lead off in all sorts of intriguing directions and besides, a change is as good as a rest!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Crook,

    Interestingly the process led me to realise that the main differences between PW2 and the 'new' version of MOB are the combat system and the concept of Unit degradation. Whereas PW2 relies on traditional D6 dice to adjudicate combat, MOB relies on specially produced dice.

    In the case of unit degradation, there is none in PW2 (although it is optional in PW1) whereas units do degrade in terms of life expectancy on the battlefield (but not combat effectiveness) in MOB.

    Redrafting MOB was an interesting experience to undertake but – contrary to your expectations – I am more likely to revisit PW1 to see what can be 'plundered' to improve PW2 than to start redeveloping MOB ... although that option remains available if needs (or fancy) require it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.