Friday, 3 February 2012

More experiments with moulds and formers

My first experiments using a wooden former around which to mould Plasticard using boiling water were reasonably successful, but each moulding was slightly different due to the method I was using to clamp the Plasticard in place, and what I wanted to achieve was a degree of uniformity. I have therefore experimented with a slightly more complex method that appears to produce more consistent mouldings.

What I made was a 'male' and 'female' former. The Plasticard is cut to the right length to fit tightly into the 'female' part of the former. The 'male' former (which has been cut so that it is slightly smaller than the 'female' former) is then placed so that it forces the Plasticard against the inside edge of the 'female' former. The resultant mouldings have so far proved to be much more consistent in shape and I am developing this idea further.

One thing that I have discovered is that the 'male' and 'female' formers have to be stronger that I originally expected as they are put under quite a bit of stress during the moulding process due to the inherent strength of the Plasticard (which wants to straighten before it has been heated) and the effect of the boiling water.

No comments:

Post a Comment