Pages

Friday 24 November 2017

A visit from Arthur Harman

Yesterday Arthur Harman (a regular contributor to the pages of MINIATURE WARGAMES) paid Sue and I a visit, and this gave me the opportunity to get some toy soldiers onto my tabletop and for Sue to exercise her skills as a hostess.

Arthur is currently writing an article about adapting my PORTABLE WARGAME rules for use as a kreigsspeil, and one of the reasons for his visit was so that we could set up and go through a couple of scenarios that we could photograph and use to illustrate his article. The scenarios we chose were 'Forcing the defile' from my recent mini-campaign and 'The Battle of Hook's Farm' from H G Wells' LITTLE WARS.

The first was set up using the same figures and terrain as those featured on my recent blog entry, but using a more distinct colour scheme for the Heroscape terrain tiles in order to make the various contour level more obvious.


The second scenario was set up using my Hexon II hexed terrain and figures from my 25/29mm Napoleonic collection, and was the first time these particular figures have been used in a tabletop battle.


We had a great time, and I hope that Arthur's article will appear on the pages of the magazine in the near future. Even if it doesn't, we still had a great day pushing toy soldiers around on my wargame table, and I look forward to wargaming with Arthur again at some time in the New Year.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    Sounds like a very good day! Great to see those Napoleonics in action - was the set up for the game based on your 8 x 9 format?

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      The Hook's Farm scenario was fought out using the 9 x 8 layout featured in DEVELOPING THE PORTABLE WARGAME.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Nice looking games Bob.
    Was the Napoleonic era game played using standard PW rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      The first was basically a recreation of the opening battle of my recent Colonial mini-campaign, and the second just went through the first couple of turns of a refight of the famous Hook's Farm scenario using the draft PW:Napoleonic rules I am working on.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob,
    Yes- H.G.Wells 'Hooks Farm' is a favorite battle- have to admit have not seen it done before with a Napoleonic theme in 25mm- this must be a first for you and Arthur and it certainly works! I thought you may have done Hooks Farm using your British Colonials vs Boars in 15mm? (This would also work). All the best. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson,

      Hook's Farm is certainly a suitable scenario for almost any period of history (hence our use of it for a Napoleonic-era battle), and would certainly make for an ideal Colonial battle.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Nice - and rather tantalizing - pics. I really must do a 'Hook's Farm' - or maybe 'Ferme du Crochet' - but it will no doubt be some border clash between the arch enemies Ruberia and Azuria...

    BTW my copy of 'Megablitz' arrived today...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      As I commented to Kev Robertson, Hook's Farm a is suitable scenario for most historical periods, and would be a great one for you Ruberians and Azurians to refight.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good day. Oddly enough Ron and I were trying out a 7YW PW variant yesterday. Game report to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      It was a very enjoyable day, and one that I hope to repeat sometime soon.

      I've just read your battle report (which was very interesting) and will be writing a comment later today.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. That Napoleoni9c set up looks smashing- and it is not even a period I'm into that much.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete.,

      Cherrs! I am really pleased with the way these figures look after being renovated, varnished, and based on simple grass green bases.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.