Pages

Tuesday 22 October 2019

SELWG2019: A report

Having collected the crate of Eric Knowles's figures from Ray Rousell, I joined the queue to get into SELWG2019. It was quite short ...


... and by just after 10.00am, I was inside the building.

The entrance led straight into the Concourse and the Small Hall. The former was lined on either side with traders stands ...


... whilst the latter was filled by a mixture of traders stands, games, and the 'Bring & Buy'.


The Concourse also gave an excellent view of the Main Hall.


THE GAMES IN THE SMALL HALL

The Society of Ancients: Hydaspes, 326 BC


Real Time Wargames: North West Frontier


GLC Games Club: The Lamenting Pikeman


Gravesend Wargamers Guild


Essex Warriors: What A Tanker!


Cheshunt Wargames Club: Mosquito Strike, Norway!


Tunbridge Wells Wargames Society: The Battle Of Lissa



(This battle was being fought using a variant of my GRIDDED NAVAL WARGAME rules, and it was a pleasure to talk to the participants. I understand that they will be publishing the rules they used on the club website, and this will be done with my wholehearted support.)

SEEMS (South East Essex Military Society)


Milton Hundred Wargames Club: The Constellation Of Kronos


Emotionally14/Fire When Ready!: Star Wars


The Main Hall was accessed from the Small Hall by two set of stairs.


THE GAMES IN THE MAIN HALL

Collections Calculator: The Battle Of The Little Big Horn


Robert Dunlop: Battle of Gnila-Lipa, 1914


British Model Soldier Society: 54mm-Scale Colonial Battle


Maidstone Wargames Club: The One Hundred Hours War



Friday Night Fight: Dino Hunt


South London Warlords: Dark Side Of The Moon


Simon Miller: To The Strongest!




Gravesend Wargames Club: Get Me To The Church On Time



Newbury and Reading Wargames Club: Romans vs. Persians



Tonbridge Wargames Club: Boxer Rebellion




Deal Wargames Association: The Real Guns Of Navarone





Crawley Wargames Club: Aztecs



Shepway Wargames Club: You Will Be Home Before The Leaves Fall




I'd like to repeat my usual plea to clubs putting on games at shows ... please, PLEASE, PLEASE could you ALL have some information about who you are and what your game is about.

As will be obvious from the information about the games I saw and photographed at SELWG2019, some clubs still fail to have anything on view for the casual passerby to look at. Others are very good at not only making sure that their club name is very prominent, but also ensuring that information about the scenario and rules being used is also available. I was spoken to by quite a few of the people running games ... but some of the others seemed to ignore anyone who showed an interest in what was going on.

16 comments:

  1. Lovely photographs. Strange how it seems like some clubs still have not read that article in Military Modelling(?) from about 1981 on putting on/attending events where your observations on readily visible game info. and interaction with the public are concerned. People are people I suppose.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heinz-Ulrich von Boffke (Stokes),

      I find this so infuriating.

      It doesn't have to be a huge banner or expensive handout; just a small poster and/or a one-page explanation about what is going on on the tabletop. Having someone talk to passers by also helps. Most of the clubs running games at SELWG were doing it right, which is why the ones that didn't stood out.

      One day, I'll go to a show and won't have to mention this topic ... but I'll not be holding my breath until it happens!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Lack of info is a real bugbear of mine, along with no-one being interested in talking to visitors to the show. Over the years some games have seemed to be an excuse to get in free and have a club day out playing a large game, with that being all that matters to them. A shame really.

    Some good games on show and certainly a nice venue, so thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I can't understand why a club would spend all that time, effort, and money ... and then not bother with something as simple as a poster or handout.

      It may well be that some clubs see it as an excuse for a big club game and free access to the traders etc., but luckily most of the ones at SELWG were not like that, which made it all the more enjoyable to go.

      I understand that Ray Rousell has also produced an even longer report on his blog.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Amazing how many clubs and how many games! I'm jealous. You'd hope to see more viewers though, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adelaide Gamer,

      Not do many years ago there were more games, and by 10.30am the halls would be heaving ... and pretty well empty from 1.00pm onwards. Now there is more space and people tend to come in as and when they can, but tend to stay later,

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Nice pics of the games Bob. My post about the games was published last night - luckily I was able to find info about who was running certain games (and what they were; sometimes badly misspelt)from SELWG's Facebook page. That 5/6mm game you couldn't identify was the Battle of Gnila-Lipa 1914 put on by Robert Dunlop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TamsinP,

      I'll take a look at your report later today.

      The SELWG guide was a bit sparse on detail, so thanks for identifying the Workd War I game. I'll try to change my subheading later.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Hi Bob,
    Thanks for showing us SELWIG- you've managed to take great pictures of a good deal of very interesting looking Battles and covered it all excellently. The Naval Battle of Lissa- took my eye- I do like the Ironclads- Pre Dreadnought era. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Roberston (Kev),

      It was my pleasure to share my photographs with you and my other regular blog readers.

      The Battle of Lissa was most impressive, and I was very p,eased that they had chosen to use my rules. They'd made some interesting changes that made the rules suitable for the ships fielded by the Austrians and Italians, and I look forward to seeing them published on the club's website.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. I had hoped to go but spent the day instead in hospital having an Endoscopy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Lewis,

      Ouch! I hope that the reason for the endoscopy was not too serious, and that whatever the cause, that you are better soon.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. What a range of games! I particularly like the look of the Mosquito raid and of course the 54mm Colonials! What was in that great big scar in the ground in the Milton Hundred game??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      I think that the Mosquito Raid game won an award ... and the BMSS 54mm Colonial game looked spectacular.

      I think that the scar was a crash site ... but that is supposition.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bob. The last line of your report amazes me - why would people put on a game at a public event and not engage with the public?!

      Delete
    3. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      It amazes me that a club goes to the expense of time, effort, and money to put on a game at a wargame show ... and then ignore the needs of the viewing public. It beggars belief.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.