Pages

Sunday 26 July 2020

Mustering troops for my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War project

Yesterday I went through the figures and vehicles I have so far renovated, varnished, and based in preparation for my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War project. I now hope to use some of them very soon to fight a short mini-campaign to try out the draft rules I hope to use.

The forces I have organised are as follows:

GERMAN
  • 1st Infantry Division
    • 1st Divisional HQ
    • 1st Infantry
    • 2nd Infantry
    • 3rd Infantry
    • 1st Artillery
    • 1st Anti-tank Artillery
  • 2nd Infantry Division
    • 2nd Divisional HQ
    • 4th Infantry
    • 5th Infantry
    • 6th Infantry
    • 2nd Artillery
    • 3rd Anti-tank Artillery
  • 3rd Infantry Division
    • 3rd Divisional HQ
    • 7th Infantry
    • 8th Infantry
    • 9th Infantry
    • 3rd Artillery
    • 4th Anti-tank Artillery
  • 1st Panzer Division
    • 4th Divisional HQ
    • 1st Armoured Reconnaissance
    • 1st Panzer
    • 2nd Panzer
    • 10th Infantry (Motorised)
    • 4th Artillery (Self-propelled)
    • 1st Panzerjager
  • 2nd Panzer Division
    • 11th Infantry (Motorised)
    • 2nd Panzerjager
  • 1st Luftwaffe Field Division
    • 1st Divisional HQ (L)
    • 1st Reconnaissance (L)
    • 1st Jager (L)
    • 2nd Jager (L)
    • 1st Artillery (L)
    • 1st Anti-tank Artillery (L)
RUSSIAN
  • 1st Rifle Division
    • 1st Reconnaissance
    • 1st Rifles
    • 2nd Rifles
    • 3rd Rifles
    • 1st Artillery
    • 1st Anti-tank Artillery
  • 2nd Rifle Division
    • 2nd Reconnaissance
    • 4th Rifles
    • 5th Rifles
    • 6th Rifles
    • 2nd Artillery
    • 2nd Anti-tank Artillery
  • 3rd Rifle Division
    • 3rd Reconnaissance
    • 7th Rifles
    • 8th Rifles
    • 9th Rifles
    • 3rd Artillery
    • 3rd Anti-tank Artillery
  • 1st Tank Corps
    • 1st Armoured Car
    • 1st Tank
    • 2nd Tank
    • 3rd Tank
    • 10th Motor Rifles
  • 2nd Tank Corps
    • 2nd Armoured Car
    • 4th Tank (Light)
    • 5th Tank
    • 6th Tank
    • 11th Motor Rifles
I do not intend to use all these formations in the mini-campaign, particularly the 2nd Panzer Division (which is currently incomplete) and the 1st Luftwaffe Field Division. I suspect that I will end up with two infantry formations and an armoured formation per side, which should give me the opportunity to fight a number of infantry vs. infantry, infantry vs. armour, and armour vs. armour actions.

I am already planning the next stage in the expansion of the forces available to both sides, and work on this will probably begin in a month or two's time.

10 comments:

  1. That's a very versatile set of forces you have at your disposal Bob. I look forward to seeing them in action, ditto the campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Cheers! I have some more stuff in the pipeline, including a Hungarian Infantry Division and some Russian Naval Infantry,

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    Thanks for this, I have replaced the Luftwaffe Field Division with the 22nd Luftlande Division which fought in southern Russia. The Luftwaffe did not have divisions till late 42.

    22nd Luftlande Infantry Division
    1st Divisional HQ (L) 4 figs round base
    1st Reconnaissance (L) 4 figs on cycles
    1st Luftlande (L) 4 inf
    2nd Luftlande (L) 4 inf
    1st Artillery (L) 7.5cm Horse Limber
    1st Anti-tank Artillery (L) Pak36 Cart

    Take Care

    Rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich,

      Using my Luftwaffe Field Division as the 22nd Luftlande Division makes sense, and it is something that I’m going to give some thought to,

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Hi Bob,
    It certainly will be interesting to see the forces you decide to deploy on your games table- I'm certainly interested to see how it will all work out...and I'll have to admit that trying to imagine how your going to conduct your Campaign is a bit beyond my experiences. Trust you'll do well with it all. Looking forward to developments. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I’m going to use the campaign system that I featured in my PORTABLE COLONIAL WARGAME book and a section of the Barbarossa map that I drew earlier this year.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Hi Bob

    Your campaign is taking shape.

    Unfortunately not my period, but all wargame campaigns have a lot in common.

    I always enjoy working out the orders of battle. I would say the most important part of any campaign is getting them right. And it is particularly satisfying when you see it all working out well.

    Look forward to following the campaign

    best regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thistlebarrow (Paul),

      Things are beginning to come together, although I expect that there may be a few problems to solve before I finally get started.

      I am hoping to create a number of ‘armies’ along the lines that you have used to organise yours. I am aiming to use an approximate bathtub scale of 1 wargame division for every 8 to 10 real divisions ... but there will be a degree of fudging along the way.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. I like the campaign set up in the Colonial PW Bob, and I'm keen to see how such a campaign works in 3D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      With luck, you might find out how well it works - or doesn’t - within a week or two,

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.