Pages

Thursday 23 July 2020

Slow progress is being made on a number of fronts ...

The last few days have seen Sue and I out and about more than we have been since the beginning of lockdown, as a result of which I have not made much progress on any single project, but have made some progress on several.
  • The first draft of THE PORTABLE 17th CENTURY WARGAME book is almost finished, but it needs illustrations to be added and possibly another chapter to be included to cover the period from 1660 to 1699. Otherwise I may have to rename the book THE PORTABLE PIKE AND SHOT WARGAME.
  • I have a working draft of RED FLAGS & IRON CROSSES 2020 written, but I am not satisfied that it is ready for play-testing as some of the mechanisms feel a bit 'clunky' and over complex. That said, I hope to have a draft that I am happy with available within a week.
  • I have made a decision about the aircraft models I want to use with my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War project. I originally intended to use 1:100th-scale models, but after comparing the amount of tabletop space they occupied in comparison with 1:144th-scale ones, the latter seemed to work better. I have therefore ordered some of the model aircraft produced by Zvezda for their ART OF TACTIC game, and these should be arriving later this week.
  • The first tranche of models and vehicles for my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War project are in the final stages of being organised and labelled, and they will be available for use in my play-tests by Friday.
  • I have installed a new 128Gb SD card in my laptop, and it is now working as well as it did ... and I no longer have any concerns about running out of storage space whilst I work.
My blog has yet again been subject to a large number of spurious comments by spammers. They nature of the comments has gone from being irritating to borderline obscene, and on average I am getting about twenty such messages per day. I cannot believe that anyone would wish to avail themselves of the online services that are apparently on offer, and can only conclude that they are intended to open up a gullible person's computer to hacking and worse.

10 comments:

  1. Hi BOB,
    You certainly do have a number of projects on the boil- and by the sounds of it your doing very well to cover all your bases. Certainly looking forward to your Eastern Front Campaign. We're currently at a stage during Lockdown where we can have limited visitors to our homes- Greg Mc will be here on Saturday for another game of MARS 1860- should be fun for our third game for the year. We're sort of making up for lost time - though it is on the cards that there will be a 2nd Wave of the Virus bringing back past restrictions state wide as has happened in Victoria. Stay well and safe there in London. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I like to have a couple of projects going at the same time so that if my interest flags, I can seamlessly switch to something else.

      We are now able to meet with people from another household, and today we are going out for a picnic with another couple we have been friends with for over thirty years.

      Please give my regards to Greg, and I look forward to reading about your game.

      I think that we are beginning to see the first signs of the second wave arriving. The infection rate is on the rise, but it seems to be worse in certain hotspots. Luckily, our area of London seems to be one where the rise is negligible, but we are still exercising caution.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hi Bob,
    I am looking forward to the c17 book. The accessibility of your rules and those of Neil Thomas has really allowed me to get my daughter into gaming. I think grid areas are an excellent visual aid to showing the tyrannies of time and space that commanders have to deal with. S&F Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike C,

      It is taking slightly longer to put together than I expected, but I hope that the end result will be worth the wait.

      I am very pleased that my rules have helped to encourage your daughter to take part in your wargames. As to the grids ... well I only wish that I’d discovered their usefulness years ago.

      S&F,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Good choice on 1/144 Air support, that is the route I went down too. The Zvezda planes are exquisite models. Also looking forward to the C17 book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin Rapier,

      It makes a lot of sense because there is a ready supply of appropriate models on sale at a reasonable price.

      I now have a number of 1:100th-scale aircraft model to dispose of. Any ideas?

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Great Sales Bob, it's the small businessman who keeps the economy going - well done. Re: the 1/100 scale aircraft I use them for my WW2 games. I would be interested in seeing a list. Can you sent it to me on our alternative means? Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delta Coy (Greg),

      I never cease to be amazed at how well my books sell. Considering that they were never intended to be much more than a vanity project, they seem to have filled a niche in the market.

      I'll try to put a list together over the weekend, and send it to you.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Hi Bob - how is the 17th century book coming on?

    Cheers

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon,

      I’m waiting for Lulu.com to sort out a few problems with my account before I resume work on the book. At present, I know that people have been trying to order books, but orders are not always being processed. Lulu.com can not explain why, and I don’t want to add another book to my list until this is sorted out.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.