Pages

Sunday 5 December 2021

Fletcher Pratt Naval War Game

This morning I am off to central London to take part in a naval battle that is being put on by members of the Jockey's Fields Irregulars. The rules that are going to be used are a version of Fletcher Pratt's Naval Wargame rules, and my role will be to act as the admiral commanding one of the opposing fleets. I have even bought a suitable hat for the occasion!

When I was younger and fitter, I used to enjoy being one of the active participants in a Fletcher Pratt's Naval Wargame, but age and infirmity (mainly arthritis) mean that although I can get down without any problems, getting back up is somewhat difficult ... and I cannot spend the entire day crawling about on the floor!

I was first read about Fletcher Pratt's Naval Wargame in Donald Featherstone's book NAVAL WAR GAMES but never used the rules until I took part in Eric Knowles's Madasahatta Campaign. During one of the battles we fought during that campaign, I commanded the Imperial Japanese battleship Fuso ... with deadly results for the combined German/Turkish squadron opposing me!

10 comments:

  1. Have fun and if you can, take some photos for us to enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J,.

      We had great fun ... and I took loads of photographs!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Getting up is getting increasingly hard for all of us - we need some young blood, and more especially young knees in the hobby! Running back and forth and getting up and down as the only umpire has always left me a red-faced sweaty blob. I have run several F-P games on the floor on the church hall and they have not only been fun but given pretty realistic outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob,

      Luckily I was the oldest (and least mobile) of the participants, and we had a few, younger novice players taking part so things were not too bad.

      The sheer size of the game will become apparent when I write my battle report, but like the lawn games I've taken part in, these floor wargames give players so much more room than a table game that you begin to get a better feel for what it must have been like to command forces on a large battlefield.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Jockeys' Fields is by Grays Inn, is it not? Intriguing..
    Anyway, I look forward to your report - may the best-dressed admiral win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David in Suffolk,

      It certainly is in that part of London, which means that on a weekend it is relatively empty of other people and traffic.

      My opposite number was not wearing a naval cap like me, so I suppose I won the battle on that point if on no other!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I was going to say Bob. I’m not that limber enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve8,

      With age comes wisdom ... including knowing one's own limitations!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. This sounds interesting! I'm looking forward to hearing how it went... andcseeing some photos. Good luck Admiral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon S,

      I hope that you enjoyed my battle report.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.