Pages

Tuesday 17 October 2023

Only five more sessions of radiotherapy!

I now only have five more sessions of radiotherapy to go before my treatment will end ... and I can hardly wait to get back to what passes for normal.

I seem to have lived the past eight weeks with what I can best describe as having my brakes on. The weekends have not been too bad, but during the week my life seems to have been dominated by the need to keep hydrated (which is essential for my treatment to be successful) and visiting the hospital.

Yesterday was a good example of a typical weekday for me. After getting up and eating breakfast, I did about half an hour renovating some 20mm Russian figures for my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War project. It was then time to have a drink of water. Having consumed about 200ml, I then read and answered my emails ... and had another 200ml of water.

This pattern of doing something (e.g. thirty minutes of gardening, about the same amount of time watching the TV news etc.) interspersed with drinking water continued until lunchtime, after which – at 2.00pm – I set off for the hospital. I got there about an hour before my treatment session was due so that there was time for me to have my bladder to be scanned using the ultrasound scanner and for me to 'fill up' with more water should the need arise. As it turned out, I did need to take in more water.

In order to give the water I had drunk time to pass through my system, I went to the review session I was due to have with one of the senior radiotherapists. After that I returned to the radiotherapy area where my bladder was scanned for a second time. It was still not full enough, and I had to wait another thirty minutes before it was. By this time it was almost 4.30pm and I didn't actually get changed until 4.45pm. As a result, I did not get treated until nearly 5.00pm ... and it was close to 5.20pm before I was dressed and on my way back to my car to drive home. The traffic was quite heavy, and it was almost 6.00pm when I arrived home and had parked my car ... nearly four hours after I had left for the hospital.

By the time I did get home I was feeling very tired and had little enthusiasm to do very much. I did try to do some work on a talk I am writing about Sir Artur Conan Doyle, but after about half an hour I began to feel drowsy and stopped. I then spent the rest of the evening eating or watching TV.

I think that most people could cope with this sort of regime for several days or even a couple of weeks ... but eight weeks of doing this has proven to be very physically, emotionally, and mentally draining. At least I can se the light at the end of the tunnel ... and I know that it isn't a train hurtling towards me!

28 comments:

  1. Bob, I imagine you are sick of the sight of water! Not to mention hospitals!
    Hopefully, it will be over soon and you can get back to a better "normality" .
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Patterson,

      I recently went out for a meal and was asked if I wanted any water with my meal … and my wife tells me that I groaned out loud!

      Luckily the hospital and the staff are great and I’ll miss not going there … but not very much.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you're over the hump Bob. I can see why it would be draining week after week. I had just one day of living under a 'regimen' for a procedure and that was bad enough ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      I had hoped that I’d finish my treatment next Friday, but I now have to do next Monday as well, and that will no doubt impact on my enjoyment of next weekend … but - that said - the end is now in sight.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel must be a relief after your ordeal. Almost there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan Freitag,

      It is a great relief to be so close to the conclusion of my treatment. I know that it will take time to recover, but at least I won’t be ‘losing’ three to four hours each day.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Hi BOB,
    Yes, great news that your nearly finished the marathon of visits to the Hospital for your treatment. It would be a long afternoon and evening for you on treatment days - it'll be great for you to get back to normal days again. Best Wishes My Friend. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Cheers! I’ve just been informed that after today my appointments are all going to be early in the morning. With luck, that should leave me more of my days free …but only time will tell.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. BOB,
      That is good news - you'll be now able to enjoy the afternoons and evenings better - not long to go now which is terrific. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete
    3. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Today I’ve had my first afternoon off … and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my little bit of freedom!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Good health is often under rated by those who have experienced the opposite! Here's to the light at the end of the tunnel, may it be sunshine and not a portal!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Ma,

      Very true! Most people have been very supportive, but I have had one or two negative comments … which I have chosen to ignore.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Keep plugging away Bob, you'll get there before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray Rousell,

      Cheers! I’m sure that the next few days will fly by.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Are you doing treatments daily? If so I'd be surprised you managed to stay sane at all. Even every other day would be a lot.
    As the kids say these days, you're built different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      I normally have daily treatment sessions five times a week (ie. Monday to Friday).

      I have had one Sunday session, but that was because one of the linear accelerators was undergoing maintenance on a day that I was due to have treatment, and I have an additional session next Monday due to a broken circuit board on the other machine last week that caused me to miss a day.

      I must admit that without the support of my wife, my fellow patients, and the staff, I would be finding my treatment regime difficult.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Good news! The finish line is now in sight! Best of luck the rest of the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      Cheers! I’ve just got back from today’s session and I now only have four left to do.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Bob -
    The final countdown, the home stretch, the goal in sight...
    Getting there!
    But, yeah: water regimes can get pretty tedious. I don't suppose you can flavour up the water with a little bit of juice or something, neither.
    Best wishes,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      Nearly there! As of today (Wednesday 18th October) I only have three more sessions to go!

      I do use squash and flavoured water to help me cope with the need to drink so much water … but I crave a Diet Coke! I haven’t been able to drink one for eight weeks!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. Best wishes that all of that had the desired effect when all is said and done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitz-Badger,

      Cheers! I am hoping that the radiotherapy will ‘kill off’ the cancer in my lymph nodes and prostate.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Cheers! Only three more sessions and then my treatment should be complete.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  12. Honestly Bob, I don't know have you've got through so many RT sessions. Well, done, nearly there. What a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin Rapier,

      I must admit that I’ve found it a bit tough at times … but if it works, it will have been worth it.

      All he best,

      Bob

      Delete
  13. It's a heck of a schedule to keep up for 8 weeks, so 'respect' to you, Bob! In the home straight now, at least and you can maybe have a well-earned rest next week. Hope all goes well in the last few sessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David in Suffolk,

      Only two more sessions to go!

      I must admit that the fatigue is getting to me, and I’m glad that my treatment is almost over. By the time I got home from the hospital today, I was so tired that I fell asleep in my armchair and slept for over an hour.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.