Pages

Saturday 28 October 2023

Continuing to expand my collection of HO9 model railway locomotives and rolling stock

Since my last foray into the world of model railways, I’ve bought some more inexpensive HO9 locomotives (one of which is a non-runner) and rolling stock as it has come up for sale on eBay.

One of my Liliput 0-6-2 locomotives. I bought in many years ago as a non-runner for use in wargames. It can be seen 'in action' in the following rather poor-quality photographs that were taken some years ago during the Battle of Arora Junction.

My collection now includes:

  • 3 x Liliput 0-6-2 tank locomotives (including one non-runner)
  • 3 x Egger-Bahn 0-4-0 tank locomotives (including one non-runner)
  • 2 x ROCO 0-6-0 tank locomotives
  • 3 x Liliput 8-wheeled, twin-bogie passenger coaches (1 in green livery, 1 in red and cream livery, and i in blue and cream livery)
  • 5 x Liliput 4-wheeled passenger coaches (3 in brown livery and 2 in yellow livery)
  • 6 x Egger-Bahn 4-wheeled passenger coaches in green livery (4 standard coaches and 2 with guard compartments)
  • 1 x Liliput 4 wheeled-goods van in grey livery
  • 4 x ROCO 4-wheeled mineral wagons
  • 1 x ROCO(?) 8-wheeled, twin-bogie hopper wagon
  • 2 x Egger-Bahn 4-wheeled flat wagons

Photographs of my collection as its was before my recent buying 'splurge' can be seen here.

I am hoping that with a bit of luck I will be able to get the non-runners to work at some point, otherwise they will end up as static models.

10 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a model railway layout , but I fear a divorce !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Good Soldier Svjek,

      I’m trying to find a way to combine my wargames with my aspirations to have a model railway … so as to avoid the problem you mention!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hi BOB,
    You have a very nice completed Collection of 009 there- all the engines and stock will be very useful for various scenarios- assuming they will match up very nicely with 15mm and 20mm Figures. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I went for this size for exactly the reasons you mention: they fit in very well with both 15mm and 20mm figures.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Somehow, toy soldiers and toy trains go together like they were made for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      You are so right … especially for wargames set from 1830 onwards.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Nice to see that your railway collection is expanding Bob, and the Game pics are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Cheers! I have a few more purchases in mind that will expand the collection even further.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Bob -
    My own small railway 'collection' comprises Hornby Dublo, another plastic thing, and a few rolling stock of other make that I bought solely for war games terrain. I also have a rather larger scale locomotive that looks good for 19th Century or colonial, but no rolling stock - or rail lines - for it. I bought it because I liked it, but also because I thought it might 'fit in' with my Army Men project (though under scale for that). None of my locos are runners...

    The addition of railways and rolling stock just adds a little 'something' don't you reckon?
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I have a couple of OO-scale bits, including a 0-4-0 tank loco, but I decided to concentrate on 009/HO9 because the locomotives and rolling stock are smaller and work well with 15mm and 20mm wargame figures and vehicles.

      Railways have played a vital role in warfare since the early part of 19th century, and I think that they ought to have a place in our wargames and on our tabletop battlefields.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.