Pages

Wednesday 14 February 2024

Jack Alexander RIP

I just read on The Miniatures Page that Jack Alexander - the creator of the Jacklex range of 20mm figures - died on 12th February at the age of 95.

At one stage I owned quite a few of his range of colonial figures and still have a bagful of Russian figures in my unpainted lead pile. What I like about his figures is their nice body proportions and Jack’s style of figure sculpture, which is definitely ‘old school’ and almost toy soldierly. Over recent years I’ve thought about replacing my existing 15mm Belle Époque collection with 20mm figures … and Jacklex are the front runners if I do.

Luckily, if I do choose to go down that route, Jack’s figures are still available from Jacklex Miniatures.

The owner of the figure ranges is Mark Lodge, and he has continued to develop the range using masters made by Jack and others that have been sculpted in the same style.

12 comments:

  1. Sad news regarding Jack Alexander.
    Having bought some Jacklex ACW figures from Mark Lodge I can recommend his prompt service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      I am giving serious thought to buying some, almost as a tribute to Jack.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. These announcements are becoming much to frequent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan Freitag,

      Unfortunately, that is all too true.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Such sad news, the old guard are passing all too frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie McGibbon,

      I must admit to getting a bit worried as someone recently referred to me as being one of the hobby's 'old guard'!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Sad news but given his age, not a surprise. May I do so well and continue to wargame into my 90's (with a bit of help from my friends).

    I've never met him in person and despite hours reading lists of figures and planning, I've only had a handful of Jacklex figures (Boer War and a few ACW), but they were delightful and I have read many positive things about him and can only conclude that his was a life well spent. (If I find myself still wargaming in another 1/4 century, I'll be greatly surprised!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      As we say in the UK, he had a good innings and was still enjoying his hobby until very recently. I agree with you that I hope that we both do as well!

      I understand that Jack based the style of his figures on Britains 54mm figures and this is probably why they appeal to wargamers who favour ‘old school’ wargames.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      It’s the scale I started out with … and it’s still my favourite scale.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.