Pages

Friday 9 February 2024

Happy Birthday to me!

It’s been a busy week this week. Besides having an important meeting of my Mother Lodge* (the Grove Park Lodge No.2732) on Monday afternoon as well as a whole-body bone scan that morning (the scan was cancelled because of my recent course of radiotherapy treatment after I had actually reached the Nuclear Medicine Department at the hospital!), we've continued decluttering, and I have celebrated my 74th birthday!

As a result, I am feeling rather tired and I will be taking a few days off from decluttering and blogging so that I can have a break to rest and recuperate. I will not be idle during this short break as it will give me time to reflect on a number of matters that I touched upon in my recent blog post entitled A LONG, HARD THINK ABOUT MY FUTURE WARGAMING.


*The meeting of my Lodge was important for three reasons.

Firstly, it was the 125th anniversary of its foundation. (It was consecrated (i.e. founded) on 11th February 1898.) Secondly, it marked the 25th anniversary of me being Initiated into Freemasonry. Finally, it was first ever White Table meeting of the Lodge during my twenty-five years as a member.

A White Table meeting means that we held a very short business meeting which was tiled (i.e. none but Freemasons were allowed inside the Lodge Room or Temple), after which guests such as wives, partners, and friends were invited in to see what the whole thing looks like when we are having a meeting. They were then given a short talk about the various officers of the Lodge, what their function is, and a brief history of the Lodge, after which we all retired to the bar for a quick drink before everyone sat down together for a meal.

The purpose of the White Table meeting is to say 'Thank You' to our wives and partners for their forbearance (being a Freemason can sometimes impinge on one's home life at times, especially when one is learning a bit of ritual and disappear into a vacant room where we can be heard muttering to ourselves!) and to emphasis the social aspect of Masonry.

38 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Bob! Hope you'll feel rested and recuperated soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Cheers! I’ve just come back from a long walk and feel very tired … but it’s that type of tiredness that makes your feel mentally reinvigorated.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Cheer! I had a great day, thank you!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday Bob, hope you have a great day. Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PDL (Paul),

      Thanks for your best wishes. I had a great day … and ate far too much good food!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Neil Patterson (Neil),

      Cheers! I had a great day and overindulged myself!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Dick Bryant,

      Cheers! Here’s to many more of them for the both of us!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday, Bob! And good luck with your decluttering - I wonder what long-forgotten treasures you will find. Best wishes, Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur1815 (Arthur),

      Many thanks for your best wishes.

      I have indeed found some things that I thought I had lost … and I hope to find a use for them someday in the future.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. David in Suffolk,

      Cheers! Let’s hope that we will both have many more birthdays to celebrate!

      All of he best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday sir!! Here's to many more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie McGibbon,

      Many thanks for your best wishes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      Many thanks for your best wishes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Jonathan Freitag,

      Cheers! I hope to have many more to come.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  11. Well! Here's to 74 years with years more in the offing!

    We can't control everything that the future will bring but we can do our best to prepare ourselves and think ahead with realistic optimism. Plans are good, without them, what would we deviate from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      Thanks very much for your best wishes and wise words. I hope to be able to return to Canada one day, but in the meantime I’ll continue to have hours of enjoyment reading your blog.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  12. BOB,
    A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY for your 74th. Hope you can rest and eventually complete your Model Railway. I'll be turning 68 in May- so, your a few years ahead of me friend. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Many thanks for your best wishes … and let’s hope we’ll both celebrate many more!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  13. Many happy returns Bob. A momentous day (9th being my anniversary too ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      Cheers! I had a great day, and I hope that enjoyed yours as well!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Fitz-Badger,

      Cheers! Let’s hope that we can both celebrate many more!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  15. Bob -
    Here it is the day after your birthday, so I'll wish you 'Happy the First of 365 (leap year!) Unbirthdays!'
    Have a good one,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      Thanks! I look forward to enjoying my Leap Year of unbirthdays!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. The Good Soldier Svjek,

      Thanks for you best wishes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  17. Happy Birthday Bob,
    I hope this year treats you well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      Cheers! Pilots say that the best landings are ones that you can walk away from … and there have been days over the past three years when I’ve rather felt like a pilot. I’ve had a few crashes, but I’m still walking … just!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  18. Happy Birthday !!!! Bob, hope it is a good day with family and many blessings for the current and coming years
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glory to Ruritania (Quinn),

      Cheers! We went on a short cruise to Amsterdam to celebrate, and despite the weather, we had a great time.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.