Pages

Thursday 11 January 2024

A long, hard think about my future wargaming

Long ago I discovered that the act of writing down one’s thoughts helped to organise them into something reasonably coherent, and this is what I have done in this blog post. As a result, the following blog post is undoubtedly a bit self-indulgent as it looks at where I have been, where I am, and what I want to do next. No doubt some of my regular blog readers will find it interesting, but if they don’t, I won’t be mortally offended.

In 2020 I was bowling along feeling that as a retired person the world was my oyster. I was enjoying my wargaming and felt that for the first time in my life I had a set of basic rules – the PORTABLE WARGAME rules – that would no doubt provide me with many years of enjoyment. I had loads of projects I could develop as the mood took me, I was a published author, and I owned several sizeable collections of toy soldiers in a variety of scales … and then I took a bowel cancer test.

The test indicated that there was the possibility of me having cancer in my digestive tract, and a colonoscopy was duly organised for me. This indicated that I had what looked like a cancerous polyp in my colon and several other polyps that might also be cancerous. After a consultation with a consultant colorectal surgeon it was decided that a short, keyhole procedure was required to remove the affected section of my colon, and I was admitted to University Hospital, Lewisham on Wednesday 2nd December 2020 for said operation. At the time, London was in Tier 2 Lockdown due to the ongoing COVID pandemic, but I wasn’t too worried as I expected to be home by the weekend.

I was admitted to hospital at 7.30am, and by 8.30am I was changed into my gown and waiting to be anaesthetised. This turned out to be somewhat problematic as I was to be given both a local and a general anaesthetic, and – due to my scoliosis – the consultant anaesthetist had problems finding somewhere to inject the local anaesthetic into my lower back. After about thirty minutes they succeeded, and that was the last thing I remembered until I woke up twelve hours later in the High Dependency section of the colorectal surgery unit.

Unknown to me, the keyhole surgery had not been successful. In fact, I had been on the operating table for nine hours! It appears that the removal of the short section of affected colon had gone according to plan, but that when they had tried to reconnect the two sections, it proved impossible. Three attempts were made, at which point the senior consultant colorectal surgeon and consultant anaesthetist decided that the safest option was to open me up and perform a colostomy … which is why, when I did wake up, I had a stoma bag.

I stayed in hospital for a week, during which time I was moved to a single room in the colorectal surgery unit and was shown how to change my stoma bag. I was also given some physiotherapy as my body – and particularly the stomach muscles – had been weakened by the surgery that had been performed on me.

The Christmas of 2020 was only marred by repeated problems with the dressing that I had over my large, T-shaped surgery scar on my lower abdomen. I had been fitted with a special type of dressing – a PICO dressing – that used a small amount of suction to keep it in place, but the pump that maintained the suction kept failing, and after several trips back to the hospital it was removed and replaced by a more traditional dressing. At first, this was replaced on a daily basis by a member of the District Nursing team but eventually they passed me over to the Nurse Practitioner at my local GP practice, who changed it three times, then twice, and finally once a week as the wound began to heal. Whilst this was happening, London had moved from Tier 3 to Tier 4 and finally into Full Lockdown.

A few further complications arose during this period. My wound got infected twice, and on both occasions, I had to take a course of antibiotics to help clear it. The wound had finally healed by Friday 5th March 2021, and although I found the stoma inconvenient, it was something that I had learned to live with. (I had been told just after the operation that the procedure might be reversible, but by March it was becoming obvious that this wasn’t very likely.)

The lockdown finally ended in July 2021, and I hoped that my life would eventually return to something approaching normal. Unfortunately this was not to be.

As 2021 became 2022, my health continued to give me cause for concern. I had been warned that the surgery I had undergone might affect me in a number of ways, and it became apparent that my urinary system was not functioning as it should. I spoke to my GP, and he decided that the matter needed further investigation. On Friday 4th March 2022 I had an ultrasound scan on my bladder at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woolwich. As a result of the scan I was asked to attend a meeting with the consultant urologist at the hospital on Wednesday 23rd March … and she admitted me as an emergency then and there!

It transpired that I had developed a partial blockage in my prostate, and this was causing urine to back up in my system to such an extent that my kidneys were on the verge of rupturing. I was kept in hospital for a week, during which time I was fitted with a catheter and my system was allowed to recover.

I returned home with both a catheter and my stoma bag, and I must admit that at times I found it rather difficult to think positively about the future. I had begun to feel old and infirm – especially when trying to climb stairs – and the debilitating effect of the situation on my physical stamina was very hard to cope with.

On Thursday 14th April I was officially diagnosed as having prostate cancer, and on 19th of that month I began the treatment that was designed to halt its further growth and spread. A colonoscopy on Friday 29th April confirmed that I had no cancer in my colon or bowel and a bone scan on 12th May showed that the cancer had not spread to my skeleton.

On 1st June 2022 I underwent a TURP (Transurethral resection of the prostate) at University Hospital Lewisham and was allowed home the next day. This procedure meant that I no longer had to wear the catheter and I was also able to urinate normally, although this remained more than a bit painful for some months to follow.

The consultant oncologist who was overseeing the treatment for my prostate cancer was happy that the TURP and my ongoing course of chemotherapy drugs had stopped the growth of my cancer but was concerned that it had spread to two nearby lymph nodes. He was also concerned that my thyroid was not functioning properly, and an ongoing course of Levothyroxine was prescribed.

The spread of the prostate cancer to the lymph nodes was confirmed by MRI and CT scans, and I was referred to the Guy’s Hospital Radiotherapy Unit at Queen Mary’s Hospital, Sidcup. I was initially seen by the consultant radiologist at the unit on Monday 14th November 2022, when the processes involved in radiotherapy treatment were explained to me. I saw them again on Monday 16th January 2022, and finally on Monday 31st July 2023, at which point I was told that my treatment would begin within a month. I then had several appointments at Guy’s Hospitals Cancer Care Unit during August 2023 in preparation for my radiotherapy, and it was at this point that I was informed that I would be undergoing thirty-seven treatment sessions.

My treatment began on Thursday 31st August 2022 (it should have begun on Tuesday 29th August but one of the linear accelerators was being serviced) and nine weeks later – on Monday 23rd October – they came to an end. As yet, the success or otherwise of this treatment has to be determined, but the results should be known by the end of January 2024.

The last three years have drained me emotionally and physically, and I seem to have very little physical stamina these days. I am – however – slowly beginning to recover, and I try to walk at least a mile each day. My ability to concentrate has begun to improve, and over recent weeks I have begun to feel far more positive.

The effect of the above has been to make me re-examine my future. My doctors tell me that if the treatment has been successful – and they gave me no expectation that it would not be – and I continue to take the cancer drugs that I am on, I have at least another ten years of life ahead of me. So, how do I hope to fill those next ten years?

To answer that question, I have to look at where I am with regard to life in general and wargaming in particular.

First and foremost, it has become apparent that our present house is no longer suitable to meet my needs. Climbing the stairs has become a major problem that has not been helped by the arthritis in my knees and feet and the surgery to my abdomen. Sue and I have therefore taken the decision that, once life has become a little more settled, we will move to somewhere that will be more suitable, such as a bungalow or to a two-storey house with a straight staircase that we can have fitted with a chairlift.

I had already begun to downsize my wargame collections after my colostomy. This was partially due to the realisation that I just had too much stuff to use and store and partially because I had already realised that at some point in the future Sue and I were going to have to move house … and our new home was likely to be smaller than our existing one.

So far I have divested myself of my entire 15mm Axis and Allies Miniatures collection, almost all of my 15mm Peter Laing figures, all of my painted 30mm British and French Napoleonic figures, and a large number of books and unmade model kits. What I have left is my 15mm Belle Époque imagi-nation collection, the 15mm Colonial figures I had painted some twenty years ago for my Mankanika, Dammallia, and Marzibar campaigns, a large number of 20mm Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War figures, vehicles, and aircraft, and my 25/28mm pre-painted Del Prado Napoleonic collection. None of these collections is by anyway totally complete, but even incomplete I have enough to keep me going for many years. That said, the last two could easily be rationalised and the second could be rebased so that it is compatible with the Belle Époque collection.

To help me to assess what further downsizing I can undertake, I have looked back over the past three years to see what has given me the greatest wargaming pleasure and to use that as a guide to the choices I will make.

So, what has given me the greatest pleasure? In no particular order, the answers are as follows:

  • The Franco-Prussian War of 1810 Napoleonic Campaign that I fought online with my good friend Professor Gary Sheffield. The simple campaign system I devised using the game board/map from Waddington’s old CAMPAIGN game and the Fast-Play 3 x 3 Portable Napoleonic Wargame rules that we used made it possible to fight a fun campaign with lots of battles and minimal recordkeeping.
  • Developing my Belle Époque imagi-nation collection. As I get older, I seem to be drawn more and more to the period of history when the European empires were at their height, both within Europe as well as in Africa and Asia. If one can distance oneself by making these imagi-nations (or should that be imagi-empires?), it becomes easier to circumvent the more unsavoury aspects of the period. The period also appeals because the technology that was used was basically similar across the powerful nations, thus making it possible to write relatively simple wargame rules that will give me enjoyable battles and campaigns to fight.
  • Rebasing my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War collection. I began this project during the long COVID lockdown, and it was part of an unfulfilled ambition to emulate Lionel Tarr’s the long-running campaign. In fact, I think that I have nearly as much in the way of figures etc., that he had … and I still have boxes and boxes of figures and models that remain to be renovated, painted, or based. Truth be told, I could probably dispose of at least 50% of what remains and still have more than enough to last me a lifetime.
  • Building my 009 narrow gauge model railway. This has been a long-standing ambition and has almost come to fruition. Although it is not directly a wargaming project, it draws heavily upon what I have learned as a wargamer (e.g. terrain modelling skills and extrapolating from historical examples to create reasonably realistic backstory) and has given me many hours of enjoyment.
  • Helping other wargamers to develop their own versions of the PORTABLE WARGAME system. This is partially down to my having been a teacher. I always wanted my students to ‘get it’ and to then make the knowledge they had gained their own … and this has certainly happened with the PORTABLE WARGAME.
  • Discovering SHAMBATTLE and developing the concept so that it worked with the PORTABLE WARGAME rules. This is the most recent of the above and – to my mind – has lots of potential.

I have been mulling what my future wargaming priorities should be for some time. Until very recently I was still very undecided … and then I read an obituary about the late John Ruddle’s garden wargaming, and things began to fall into place.

In the obituary, the wargaming part of John’s garden was described as being L-shaped, with a long left-hand border that was split into Britain, France, Germany, Belgium, and Italy. At right-angles to this and across the bottom of the garden were sections that represented Africa and the Northwest Frontier of India. At the join of the two section was Turkey, and the lawn represented the oceans. My immediate reaction was ‘I’d love to do something like that, but my garden isn’t suitable.’ However, after some thought, I decided that an indoor version of something like it might be possible.

My current thinking is along the lines that I could create a terrain board for each of my Belle Époque imagi-nations using the game board/map from Waddington’s CAMPAIGN game as a guide. These terrain boards could be stored in my future wargame/toy room and be brought out and used as and when required. It would allow me to exercise my terrain modelling skills (something that I have recently rediscovered and that I really do enjoy!) and become the basis of an imaginary wargaming world where nations – both large and small – are constantly vying with each other.

If I were to go down this route, my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War and Napoleonic collections would be relegated to being second rank collections, but as they are probably going to be downsized anyway and my Belle Époque collection plus a few other bits and pieces that I have in storage are probably big enough for project I have outlined, it answers some of the conundrums I have been facing.

Having written all this, I have yet to make a firm decision, but it is a plan of sorts, and it will give me hours of fun just thinking about it. Will it come to fruition, or will I change my mind? I have no idea, but whatever happens, you can bet your bottom dollar that I’ll blog about it!

45 comments:

  1. Hi BOB,
    It is good that you and Sue are considering moving into a Bungalow- to try and avoid staircases. I've been having problems with my legs- I've lost that much weight (40kg) and muscle mass that my legs are a problem with steps...If I were to move houses I'd look at places that have no steps...anyway hope your well Friend. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Sorry to read about the problems you are having with your legs.

      We would love to move to a bungalow, but there are none on sale in our local area. I need to stay close to the hospitals that are dealing with my cancer so we are looking at houses with a set of straight stair that we can have a chairlift fitted to.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Fixed terrain boards are an interesting option Bob. Wargames on the large scale "maps", for want of a better word, like those being used by Archduke Piccolo for his Napoleonic Campaigns have piqued my interest, and a whole country on a board is intriguing. I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      That’s exactly the route I’m thinking about going down. I may well experiment with the spare part of the pasting table that I have … once my model railway is finished.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob -
    I'll be looking forward to reading more about it - for a long time to come!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      Cheers! I’m hoping for good news … but no relying on it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. It takes 'guts' to face up to that. An older friend of mine, Dave Bryant, who died some years ago, I remember saying to me that he should start thinking of what to do with the remainder of his life. A life time of heavy smoking hadn't done him a lot of good.
    He was a prolific maker of toy soldier molds and painter of lead toy soldiers and a good friend. I lent him plastic toy soldiers that he made molds of and often lent me the molds or gave me some of his castings.
    I asked him what he was going to do with his time apart from enjoying his toy soldiers and he continued painting and making toy soldiers until he died!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quantrilltoy,

      I’m just trying to be realistic and whatever the outcome, I want to enjoy my hobby to the very end.

      Phil Barker has turned 90, and his wife recently sent me photos of the most recent DBA army he had finished painting. I’m determined to do the same!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. That is inspiring about Phil! All the best to you Robert and please keep up the blog!
      Incidentally, one thing I have been wondering is what happens to our blogs when we go to the great toy soldier shop in the sky? I'd like to designate a successor to keep mine going but he would have to be not only dedicated to toy soldiers but highly literate. I'd pick someone significantly younger but the couple of people I have in mind lack the level of literacy I'd want.

      Delete
    3. Quantrilltoy,

      I’ll carry on blogging for as long as I can and people are willing to read my ramblings.

      Our blog will remain somewhere on the Internet after we stop. I’ve been saving my blog posts as Word files ever since I started, and they will be electronically stored in document and searchable PDF formats. I’ve even had them printed and bound by Lulu.com and the bound volumes are on my bookshelves.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that you are starting to recover and able to bgin planning some new projects.

    I like the idea of John Ruddle's Garden games as a series of terrain boards and I'd be tempted to do something similar with my 54mm collections.

    But this and next year I want to concentrate on building my Siege of Dendermonde terrain and get the armies together for that so it might have to wait.

    I am "only" 60 but contemplating full retirement and at some point downsizing or (as a friend put it) rightsizing our house once the garden becomes too big for us.

    My current games room is 21' x 11' with an attahced 12' x 12' hobby room - I don't think I'll get that again so need to work on some projects while I have the space for them and think about downsizing some other projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Lewis,

      It sounds like you’ve got a great project to occupy you for the next couple of years!

      I hope to experiment with a John Ruddle-style indoor terrain board using the spare half of the pasting board I have left over from my model railway project, and I’ll be blogging about it as I do it.

      60! That’s a great age to retire and resize!

      (I’m extremely envious with regard to your games room and hobby room. Mine is a lot smaller and I’m hoping to get something bigger when we move.)

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. The hobby space is an extension that we built to accomodate my wargames and toy soldier business and as I am just selling paint has become more of a hobby space.

      The hobby room does have my Coat D'arms paint stocks in it as well as scenery, laser cutter, etc.

      The games room has an electronic drum kit at one end (part of my turning 60 midlife crisis!) and the agreement was that I use collapsible tables rather than a permanent table so that the room can be used for other things (we have had a large New Years Eve party in it and several music rehearsals for the band we used to be in).

      Delete
    3. Mike Lewis,

      Our extension - which houses our home office, my toy/wargame room, and a shower room - is in our roof. In retrospect, a normal extension might have been a better choice: but as we already had a garden room/conservatory added as well, such a move was impossible. I did look at having a garden shed but as our garden has a 1-in-10 slope, that was out of the question.

      A drum kit? It makes a change from buying a sports car or motorbike!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. When I hit my own problems I seriously considered giving up Garrison. Both my son and wife basically said no way, keep it going - it's a matter of Garrison proving to be my major interest. Generally speaking, Wargaming in all it's faces - solo, painting, figure/army reviews, blog - are great for filling in retirement time. So my view (not in any way advice!) would be to keep as much as you can!

    In your case, same thing. Keep going and certainly look for new ways of doing so. If you move house, for example - look for somewhere with a pation that can be used? Books - can't talk there, got thousands of the things. But if you can bear to divest yourself of them - the internet is pretty go for info.

    Anyway, whatever you decide to do, best wishes in doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob Young,

      I can see why you carried on with Garrison, and doing so seems to have been a very good decision.

      Wargaming is a wonderful hobby in so many ways, and unlike many others, you have something to show for your efforts. I have a friend who plays golf, and spends about three times what I do each year on his hobby … and at the end of the year all he seems to have is a bad back, numerous lost balls, a set of golf clubs that need to be replaced, and lots of lost games! At least if I lose, I’ve done it in the warm and lost to someone don’t mind losing to!

      I’m determined that when we move I’ll either get a large enough room or garage I can use for wargaming or have space for a suitably-sized and properly equipped shed/games room built in the garden.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Its good that you are still planning for a wargaming project. Everyone is different and to be able to remain positive speaks volumes for your courage. Personally I would be a gibbering wreck. Re a John Ruddle like project but on a smaller scale. I was always amazed by John's wonderful garden, so why not do something similar but in a far smaller scale ie 1/3000, there is some beautiful terrain pieces and also figures, ships and weapons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Independentwargamesgroup,

      Courage? More likely to be sheer bloody mindedness (or stupidity) on my part!

      I’m thinking of doing my indoor equivalent of John Ruddle’s garden in 1:100th. Assuming that John’s garden was about 60’ long and he was working in 1:35th, mine would be about 21’ long … which is not that unreasonable a target to aim for. If I did it in 1:200th, my terrain would be 10.5’ and in 300th, I might get away with 7’.

      If I go with 1:100th, I already have more than enough figures already painted and based … and I can use my N-gauge model railway track. My 009 model railway stuff is actually HO scale, which is 1:87th, but which looks fine next to my 15mm figures. At 1:100th, the 9mm gauge model railway track equates to 90cm gauge, which was a common railway gauge in parts of Europe.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Quite an ordeal! I'm very glad it seems your on the mend. For what it's worth I discovered the Portable Wargame in 2020 while recovering from triple bypass surgery and doing a similar review of my future wargaming plans. For me the portable wargame fits the bill for a simple, universal set of rules that can be easily adapted to whatever strikes my fancy, and it's a lot of fun to play! I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing it. Here's to many more years of fun and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      It’s been a bit of a struggle at times … but life is nothing without something to fight against.

      No need for thanks. I’m just very pleased to read that the PW has played a part in your recovery. It certainly seems to have spurred you to do all sorts of interesting and inspiring things with the rules.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing your experiences over the last few years Bob, and the thoughts about where you go next with your hobbies. At 61 I've started to think in a similar vein. No conclusions yet, but some broad ideas are beginning to emerge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      There are time in our lives when it is a good thing to look back so that we can plan our future. The last three years have made me realise that it was time for me to do a review of how I’ve got to where I am and to develop some sort of plan for what to do next.

      Good luck with your own planning.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. Cracking post Bob and a very good read, so many things have struck chords with me. Looking forward to seeing where this great hobby takes you and looking forward to reading about it for many more years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie McGibbon,

      Cheers! I hope to keep going for a load more years to come, and I hope that you’ll stay as one of my regular blog readers.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  11. Although nothing compared to the challenges that you've borne, and come through, in the last decade, I can certainly relate to your thoughts on reassessing the hobby and re-cocking (so to speak) for the "next phase." Whatever the decision, here's to looking forward to another 10 (or more!) years of your touchstone blog for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed M,

      Thanks for your kind words. We all have problems in our daily lives and I find that wargaming helps me to cope. I hope that the hobby does the same for you.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  12. We’re all getting older a day at a time Bob. I hope everything is OK when you get your results at the end of the month.
    The UK has an aging population - so clearly there’s a need for more bungalows (good luck finding one though).
    Cheers,
    Geoff 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elliesdad (Geoff),

      Cheers! Thanks for your best wishes.

      I suspect that because bungalows take up a lot of space, no one is building new ones in the area where I live. Flats seem to be the order of the day, and our borough seems to have high rise blocks springing up everywhere.

      Even those very few bungalows that are on sale have often been converted into chalet bungalows … which means I might as well look for a suitable house, of which there seem to be far more available ones on the market.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  13. Hello there Bob,

    It has certainly been a long haul for you and so here’s hoping the end of the month will bring some good news.

    I am confident that you will get a lot done over the next ten years (hopefully longer!) and I, along with all your followers will continue to look out at whatever you are up to - certainly you have inspired and fashioned my enjoyment of our hobby in many ways.

    Sadly it seems like the only way to get a bungalow is move away - where I live they are around but are not cheap.

    I am fortunate in that I do not have great collections of figures to think about and so moving into more boardgames is a nod to the inevitable downsizing we will be looking at in due course.

    Many of us are ‘of an age’ where big decisions will need to be made about collections and viability going forwards - what you have done and are doing is wholly practical and is a hugely sensible approach.

    Looking forward to sharing your continuing adventures!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      It was not until I sat down to write this blog post that I realised just how long this has been going on. In fact, I have difficulty at times remembering what it was like not to be unwell. (I didn’t mention that I also have sleep apnoea and have to use a face mask and C-PAP machine at night.)

      Sue and I originally looked at buying a bungalow on the Kent coast, but although there were plenty of them, most are on cookie cutter estates of bungalows and overpriced. It also meant changing hospitals, which is something that I want to avoid.

      Your approach to wargaming has always been far more disciplined than mine, and I suspect that if you ever need to downsize, it will be somewhat easier than I’m going to find it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Hello there Bob,

      “Far more disciplined?” I had never thought of it that way as I always seem to be acquiring and discarding as the mood takes me! On the plus side it means that I have avoided humongous collections and having spent a chunk of time sorting out Eric’s stuff I have no intention of starting now!

      All the best,

      DC

      Delete
    3. David Crook,

      I’ve always admired your ability to keep your collections turning over and not allowing your wargame room to become as cluttered as mine has become.

      (I know that you have a load of Eric’s stuff in your wargame room at present, but most of that will no doubt be gone soon.)

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  14. Bob, that's a really interesting post - thank you for sharing your experience, I'm sure it has been really useful for many people (and yourself, I hope!). You've been through an awful lot in the past 3 years or so, and dealt with it all admirably.
    Very interesting to see your thoughts on future hobby plans, which sound eminently sensible while also giving yourself interesting challenges! We all seem to end up with too much 'stuff' (by the nature of a hobby involving building armies, it's hard to stop!) , it's good to take stock and be realistic. Your future living plans look sensible too - I hope you find something suitable. I look forward to reading many more of your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David in Suffolk,

      Cheers! I suspect that all I’ve done is to put down on paper what a lot of other wargamers are thinking about. I hope that by doing so, I’ll help them to formulate their own plans for the future.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  15. Well fingers crossed for the results this month Bob after all that you've been through these past few years. It seems to be a trend at present for many gamers to take stock of things, myself included. After much prevaricating I've decided what rules and figures to try and offload (easier said than done), to give me what time I have to focus on periods that I really enjoy. This has been very cathartic and would have started sooner if it had not been for Covid and the lockdowns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Thanks for your best wishes. I’m hoping for the best but expecting that things will remain pretty well as they are.

      You’re right about the cathartic effect of downsizing and forcing oneself to concentrate one’s efforts on a small number of projects rather than a whole range of them. It feels difficult at the start but liberating once it’s done.

      Good luck with your own rationalisation process!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  16. Your recent experiences are very important to your plans for the future. Taking care of ourselves is always the first step. Having the hobby to fall back on is something I want to continue. Your ideas for the scale nations is a good place to begin. A terrain board set for each country could be a lot of fun and focus your hobby skills. The dash of a clever setting and you're off to adventure in your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pancerni,

      Cheers! Wargaming has really helped me to cope with my recent trials and tribulations, and the support I’ve had from fellow wargamers has been a tremendous boost.

      Interestingly, quite a few of my wargaming friends are moving towards imagi-nations as the basis of their future wargaming … and we are following in the footsteps of such luminaries as Brigadier Peter Young, Charles Grant Snr., and Jack Scruby.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  17. You've had quite a journey these past few years but your positive attitude has kept you on track. The plan looks to be a solid and practical on. I'm looking forward to following how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan Foley,

      It’s been a bit of a trial at times, but I’ve found that wargaming has helped me to cope. I’m hoping that my plans don’t go too awry over the next few months … but who knows what might happen?

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  18. Glory to Ruritania (Quinn),

    Once I started, I found it very cathartic and relatively easy to write this blog post … and the process of writing it made me give serious thought to what I need to do to ensure that I have a plan for what happens next.

    Many years ago, I was told that ‘To steer the barque of life o’er the rough sea of passion without quitting the helm of rectitude is the highest perfection to which human nature can attain.’ That is something that I aspire to do.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have been through a lot these past few years, as has my older brother. I respect your ability to keep plugging away, whether it's courage or bloody mindedness. ha ha
    Making plans for the future state of your housing and your gaming and other hobby ideas sounds like a good idea. And something I should probably do myself. I will be 68 this year, but so far my health has been good (knock on wood), but there's always the possibility that won't always be the case. I do think about the possibilities, and look at some of the health issues my older brother and my parents (both still alive and kicking) have dealt with/are dealing with with, and about how such things could affect me at some point and how I might deal with them.

    Best wishes to you (and everyone else here)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitz-Badger,

      In the game of whist that is life, I suppose that we have to play with the hand we are dealt, and that’s what I have done. My plans - as far as I can see - are the most sensible way to play the game so to speak, so rather than chucking my hand in and giving up, I’ll continue to get the best from what I have in my hand. I might not win the game, but hopefully I’ll win a few tricks!

      Sorry for the card game analogy, but it sort of fits the way I am feeling today.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  20. Bob,

    I appreciate your life updates on this blog nearly as much as your wargaming posts. I'm young (turning 30 this year) but hearing your perspective on aging and the health challenges that can come with it give me a good perspective. My grandparents (who have lived independently well into their 80s) are now looking at moving house for many of the same reasons you mention (stairs, accessibility, health). Your posts like this help me understand what some of their concerns and day-to-day worries may be.

    All the best.

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tyler F (Tyler),

      Thanks for your kind words, and I wish your grandparents well with their move.

      The one thing that I have learned about aging is that it is not a simple straight line of slow decline. Sometimes things seem to be going along nicely and then suddenly something happens that means that you take a downturn. You might recover from it or you might not, but even if you do, it never seems to be a complete 'back to where I was' return.

      Unfortunately there are no classes or courses you can take that prepare you for aging: it is something that each generation has to learn for itself. If I have one little gem of wisdom to pass to to you , it is that!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.