Pages

Thursday 29 February 2024

29th February: A bunce day … and my days as a shop worker

I had hoped to have finished decluttering my toy/wargame room by the end of February, but it looks as if I’m going to miss my self-imposed deadline … but not by much because 2024 is a Leap Year and February has an extra day … a bunce day!


I hadn’t heard of the term ‘bunce’ until I started work as a callow (I was a pupil at a single-sex grammar school) and very young (I was fifteen years-old) shop worker at the local branch of J Sainsbury, but soon learned that its slang meant an unexpected bonus. It was the first of many slang words that I learned whilst working in retailing, the others mostly being shop or back slang.

Shop or back slang was developed so that shop workers could converse with one-another in front of customers without the customers knowing or understanding what was being said. For example, feeb meant beef, bemal meant lamb, and rettub meant butter. It was, however, mostly used to talk in insulting terms about the customers. Hence, a troublesome female customer might be referred to as a delow woc … or old cow!

I got the job at Sainsburys by going along every week and asking the manager for a part-time job. Eventually he gave in, and after a period of training at the company’s training school at Stamford Street in central London, I began work handing out baskets to customers as they entered the supermarket.

This was somewhat ironic as the training school was set up to train staff to work in a traditional-style grocers. I learned how to slice cold meat, pat butter into shape, cut cheese with a cheese wire, and make sugar bags from sugar paper … and my local branch was one of their first supermarkets where none of these skills were used!

I soon progressed to become a bag packer (i.e. I packed customer’s bags for them) and then to work in the buffer store. This was where tinned goods and pre-packed goods (e.g. packets of biscuits) were price-stamped before being put out on the shelves and where any surplus was stored. If you worked in the buffer store you spent your time bringing stuff down from the warehouse, pricing it up if it wasn’t pre-priced, and then putting it on the shelves. We had to use spacers between each stack of tins and to ensure that the newest stock was always at the back of the display. We also had to regularly check the shelves to ensure that displays were tidy, and any depleted stocks were restocked promptly.

I stayed in the buffer for about a year before moving on the the dairy section, where my main tasks were stocking and cleaning the pre-cut cold meat, milk, cream, butter, margarine, and egg displays. I stayed there until I left school at the age of eighteen and moved on to full-time work at Coutts and Company, although I was offered the opportunity to become a trainee manager with Sainsburys.

Looking back, working at Sainsburys helped me to grow up and mature. Like every other newly-recruited worker, I was subject to a degree of what would now be regarded as low-level bullying (e.g. being told to go and get some tins of elbow grease from the warehouse) but once I learned to laugh when I was caught out, I was soon accepted by my coworkers.

The final incident was being invited to join the card school in the staff canteen one Saturday lunchtime. The game being played was whist, and the stakes were six pence per game. My coworkers obviously expected me to be an easy touch and I lost the first couple of hands we played. However, playing cards (particularly whist and crib) was something that my father enjoyed and from an early age I’d learned to count cards. By the end of that lunchtime I’d taken five shillings off each of the other players. After that, the bullying stopped … and I was never invited to play cards again!

8 comments:

  1. That's very interesting, Bob! I worked on Sainsburys logistics IT systems from 1998 to 2022, but managed to only ever 'work' one day in the actual stores.. Many of my colleagues had started in stores, one had joined at 16 - only he had 'put his age up' to join, as he was really only 15 at the time - shades of WW1 volunteer soliders, I always thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David in Suffolk,

      Sainsburys was just beginning to computerise their stock ordering systems when I worked there. Every Saturday that made returns about what had sold etc., and had to include information about the weather and other significant events. I assume that this was going to be used to create some sort of algorithm that would enable then to avoid - for example - ordering too much cold meat and salad vegetables when cold weather was predicted.

      I was one of the first of what they termed 'student' part-time workers. By the time I left in 1968, the number in our branch had grown to five or six, and I know of one who joined the company after leaving school and went on to become an area manager.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a classic husstle Bob. Lose the first couple of games to make them think you don't know what you are dong then take them to the cleaners. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred,

      Back then I was playing cards with my father quite regularly and soon learned to watch how the other players arranged the cards in their hands and how they played them. These were experienced card players … but not particularly good ones.

      At the time I had just discovered the CS Forester books about Horatio Hornblower. He was a good whist player and I set out to emulate him. I never tried poker or brag as I never quite ‘got’ the way they worked.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Forester is one of my all time favourite authours, not just for his Hornblower series, but classics like "The Good Shepherd" one of the best accounts of antisubmarine warfare I have read.

      Delete
    3. Fred,

      It is a good book, but it isn’t my favourite of his wartime novels, which is THE SHIP. I also think that THE GENERAL is excellent, as are THE GUN and RIFLEMAN DODDS. I’m not so keen on BROWN ON RESOLUTION.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    4. Ah yes The Gun. I read that when I was about 11 and recreated some of the action with my Britains 4.7" Naval Gun and Britains and Timpo toy soldiers. I quite liked Brown on Resolution. It gave me some cause for thought about how difficult snipers are to detect and attack over difficult ground, but it is a bit of a slow burner compared to some of the others.
      Always thought the Hornblower book The Comodore would make a great wargames campaign. Warlord Games 1/700th Napoleonic ships and 3mm Miniatures for the land actions maybe? They even do the Bomb Ketches you would need.

      Delete
    5. Fred,

      The good old Britains 4.7-inch gun! I have several, including one whose barrel was shortened by a previous owner.

      I think my problem with BROWN ON RESOLUTION is down to seeing the rather indifferent film that starred Michael Rennie and Jeffrey Hunter that was based on the book but set during World War II. It was released as SAILOR OF THE KING and SINGLE-HANDED.

      THE COMMODORE is one of the best of the Hornblower books, and really does emphasise the role of the Royal Navy in what is now termed littoral operations. I agree that it could form the basis of a very interesting naval campaign.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.