Pages

Sunday 3 March 2024

Rediscovering the RISK EXPRESS dice

Back in 2011 I experimented with the use of the dice from the RISK EXPRESS game as a way to randomise the number of units a side could activate during a PORTABLE WARGAME turn. I later moved on to other methods and had – to all intents and purposes – forgotten about the RISK EXPRESS dice until I rediscovered them again during the decluttering of my toy/wargame room.

The dice had to following symbols on the sides of the dice:

  • A general
  • A cannon
  • A cavalryman
  • One infantryman
  • Two infantrymen
  • The infantrymen

I used the RISK EXPRESS dice in a number of Colonial battles that were fought on my original 8 x 8 chessboard. The dice were allocated as follows:

  • European troops: one RISK EXPRESS dice for every three non-Command Units (with any remainders being rounded up) plus one RISK EXPRESS dice for the Command Unit.
  • Native troops: one RISK EXPRESS dice for every three non-Command Units (with any remainders being rounded down) plus one RISK EXPRESS dice for the Command Unit.

For example, if a European force of eight Units (including a Command Unit) were facing a Native force of eight Units (including a Command Unit), the Europeans would be allocated four RISK EXPRESS dice (7/3 = 2.66 [which when rounded up = 3] plus 1 = 4) and the Natives would be allocated three RISK EXPRESS dice (7/3 = 2.66 [which when rounded down = 2] plus 1 = 3).

This would supposedly reflect the superior discipline of the European troops as well as preventing the Native force from having far more RISK EXPRESS dice than the European force. In addition, the number of RISK EXPRESS dice allocated to each side should diminish as Units are destroyed, and the loss of a Command Unit would therefore have serious consequences.

Looking back at this, it is a game mechanism that I should probably have persevered with a bit more than I did. One reason why I did not was the fact that Parker/Hasbro – who manufactured the game – ceased production and I saw no point in describing and developing a game mechanism that other wargamers could not try for themselves.


I did investigate how much copies of RISK EXPRESS are now selling for on eBay ... and the prices ranged from £25.00 (with free postages) to £65.50 (plus £3.99 postage). That seems quite a lot to me, and I won't be buying another copy of the game just for the dice!

12 comments:

  1. Bob,
    Although having the symbols on the dice looks attractive, one could easily use a normal die, simply remembering that 1, 2 and 3 are the number of infantrymen; 4 is a cavalryman (horse has four feet); 5 is a gun and 6 is the general. Or one could print off the icons, glue them on the faces of dice and varnish to preserve them. Far cheaper than buying RISK Express!
    I'm working on a system using the Morschauser principle of 'making the point' by throwing less than or equal the unit's rating, but applying it to musketry and artillery fire as well as to close combat, and comparing the results for the opposing units to determine the effect of the exchange of fire or combat. Units will have separate Fire and Combat ratings and there will be different results tables for Infantry vs Infantry; Infantry vs Cavalry; Cavalry vs Cavalry; Artillery Fire on Formed Troops; Counter-battery fire and Fighting in BUAs. I'll combine it with his movement rules for the gridded game. Should be simple enough for youngsters.
    Best wishes, Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur1915 (Arthur),

      You are quite right: I could just use an ordinary set of dice, but somehow I find the images a bit more appealing.

      Your combat system sounds very interesting, and I look forward to reading more about it. Are you going to write it up for a magazine for publication? If not, I'm sure that I can find room for it in the next PW Compendium.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Yes the greatness of eBay. I am winding if there is a company that would created you something similar for less? Food for thought chap. I think you also have hit upon what my games are missing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Demitri Ioannou,

      EBay has its strengths and its weaknesses, and what people charge for items sometimes amazes me.

      I'm sure that there are companies out there that will make sets of dice for you ... at a cost. However, Arthur Harman's suggestion in the comment above makes a lot of sense. You could just use a set of normal D6s or make stickers that you glue to each face of the dice.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. It would be good if you could scoop these dice up for less, but not as much of a deal as it might have been "back in the day." There are any number of companies that will do you custom dice for as much as they are asking for these as collectors' items (a google search will turn up options). And of course, you can always just designate pips on a D6 to represent the general, cannon, and cavalryman, etc (speaking of old skool). I guess I should add, though, that these dice were ahead of their time and if I had a set on hand, I'd find a way to use it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed M.,

      I bought my sets of RISK EXPRESS when they were in a half-price sale in a large supermarket. I only wish that I had bought more!

      You and Arthur Harman seem to of one mind when it comes to using ordinary D6 instead of these fancy ones, especially as I think that having a set or sets made for one's own use would be higher than one could probably justify.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. You can find the game on boardgamegeek.com and if you go to its entry page there's a print and play version available. I made my own copy using the files from there. I also have a PDF somewhere with all the files i used. Printing the die faces on sticker paper made putting them on dice a lot easier. Keep an eye on your email, I'll send you the files when I find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      I must admit that I haven’t looked at BoardGameGeek, but that is really useful information. I’d love a copy of the files if you can find them.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Bob -
    I'd be interested in discovering if the dice worked the way I imagine they do. Unfortunately they would 'transliterate' onto the ordinary D6 the way the Memoir '44 do. I'd go with Arthur Harman's suggestion, or maybe
    1 = artillery
    2 = cavalry
    3 = 1 infantry
    4 = 2 infantry
    5 = 3 infantry
    6 = general.
    Such a scheme might work better for my map games ... perhaps. Something to bear in mind, but I have no map games in the pipeline right now.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I think that Arthur Harman’s suggestion and your own will work very well indeed.

      Now that I’ve rediscovered these dice, I am sort of beholden to try using them again … once my life has settled down after the decluttering.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      Cheers! They have their uses …

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.