Pages

Friday, 2 October 2026

The Wargaming Miscellany YouTube channel

Just under three years ago (it was 16th February 2024), I set up the Wargaming Miscellany YouTube channel as an adjunct to this blog. Since then I have uploaded over fifty videos, some of which covered topics that had appeared as blog posts and others that did not.

I decided to look at which of these videos had attracted over a thousand viewers ... and the results were very interesting.

  • The essentials of the Portable Wargame (15k)
  • The Attack on Morobad: A wargame fought using rules from the Portable Colonial Wargame book (3k)
  • A Portable Wargame mini-campaign board (2.3k)
  • Review and play-test of the Dominion of the Spear and Bayonet rules (2k)
  • Firepower!: The Royal Artillery Museum, Woolwich: Part 1 - The Rotunda (1.7k)
  • The Portable Wargame version of Shambattle: Background and the rules (1.6k)
  • Funny Little Wars Lawn Games (1.5k)
  • Eric Knowles: A wargaming original (1.1k)
  • The Franco Prussian War: The Battle of the Southern Frontier (1k)
  • Operation Barbarossa Portable Wargame mini campaign (1k)

The channel currently has just under nine hundred subscribers and has been viewed approximately forty-six thousand times. Of these views, approximately ten thousand were from the United States and just under eight thousand from the United Kingdom.

12 comments:

  1. These are really impressive numbers Bob. Like you I started my YouTube channel to support my blog with videos. Though my numbers are way more modestly than yours, I actually have more followers and views on my YouTube channel than on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,

      Funnily enough, I also have more YouTube subscribers than I have blog followers although my blog attracts far more views the my channel does.

      I think that there are some topics that a video explains better than a blog post ... and vice versa. I certainly plan to make more videos as my skill level improves and I master the various necessary techniques.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Must admit I've never looked at the YouTube channel... this is a serious omission by me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob Young,

      I hope that you do take a look and enjoy what you see.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob, Overall do you see any difference in the viewing numbers by subject? Eg does a battle report video attract more views?
    I also wonder if YouTube videos are getting the same "bot" attention that Blogger Posts have had..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Battle reports and anything related to the Portable Wargame seem to out perform my other videos.

      As far as I know, my videos have not yet attracted the attention of AI bots and have not been ‘raided’ by AI slop producers. No doubt that will come if I ever reach a level of views that trigger some form of income generation … which will probably be never!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I have been enjoying these videos a lot this year. There are a few I have missed, so thanks for this list. I'm looking forward to seeing them very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WEK 3,

      Cheers! I’m very pleased to read that.

      What I find amazing is the fact that I have twice as many YouTube subscribers as I have blog followers!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. An excellent body of work.. I find all of your videos interesting, although it sometimes takes me few days to get around to watching them, work and my own hobby activities keep me very busy. 😁. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      Thanks for supporting my YouTube channel, my blog, and the Portable Wargame Facebook page!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Splendid figures, Bob! It's dead interesting to see how the Portable Wargame content and battle reports naturally draw in such a strong audience on YouTube.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Bruce (Andy),

      Cheers! I had hoped that some of my more historical videos might attract a bit more interest, but that hasn't happened yet!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.