Pages

Thursday, 6 August 2026

Wargame Map Tool: A beachhead map for my mini-campaign board

Recently, I began thinking about setting up a beach landing wargame on my mini-campaign board and decided to design the terrain using the Wargame Map Tool. It took me less than ten minutes, and the result looked like this:

I have begun to play around with some of the tools and discovered that I can scale things to fit the hexes ... and that I can set the size of the hexes up to 50mm, which is half the side of my Hexon II hexes.

This is really turning out to be a great map drawing tool ... and the more I use it, the easier I am finding it to use. 

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Jonathan Freitag,

      Cheers! I was very pleased with the result.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob -
    This looks like a really useful map-making system. Were I not more or less wedded to Microsoft Paint (I get a lot of mileage out of that), I'd be tempted to try it!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      It is the best map drawing program I’ve found to date, but I still like to use MS Paint to tidy things up, although I didn’t do so in this case.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Hi Bob,

      Getting such a clear, readable beachhead drawn up so quickly is a proper result.

      My usual go-to has been an old favorite called MappingBoard by Matthew Tyler—if you're ever curious, I put a downloadable copy on my site under the Campfire Chat label titled The Resurrection of MappingBoard. Since ditching Windows 11 for ChromeOS Flex (and gladly leaving the constant OS crashes behind!), I haven't been able to run it, so I've been looking for a modern alternative. The Wargame Map Tool certainly seems to fit the bill brilliantly!

      Cheers, Andy

      Delete
    3. Andy, I have been using MappingBoard for years too and it does the job, simply.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.