Pages

Saturday 20 November 2010

More model warships: Torpedo Boat Destroyer prototype

Earlier this week I decided to see if I could build a model warship that fitted within the limit of 10cm length, but which was not a basic Ironclad. Taking the pictures of John Ruddle's ships as a source of inspiration, I sketched out a design for a Torpedo Boat Destroyer ... and began work on building a prototype. The resulting model is as yet unpainted, but I am reasonably happy with the result.

I have taken a few liberties with the design. It is shorter and fatter than the original TBDs, and only has two torpedo tubes and a single gun mounted forward on a bandstand on top of the conning position ... but I think that it captures the essence of the original, which is what I had hoped to do. I am now thinking about building other models of generic warships from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, all with a maximum length of 10cm.

It will certainly be an interesting challenge!

4 comments:

  1. Well done Bob - it certainly has a period charm.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,

    Very nice indeed! Ideal for those raid type actions - cutting out etc as well as some welcome fire support for the infantry. Destroyers were used as such during the Dardanelles action. In fact a certain Lt Cunningham (yes that one of Matapan fame)and HMS Scorpion were quite active in that regard. I like the gun on the 'bandstand' - horribly exposed by a great feature. I can't wait to see whats next on the stocks!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim Gow,

    That is exactly what I was trying to achieve.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Crook,

    I like the ship designs from that period, and the fact that they were still being used during World War I means that they can be used from about 1890 to 1920 (or later, in the case of some smaller nations).

    I have always wanted to re-fight the Zeebrugge Raid, and using models like this is beginning to make that possibility.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.