Pages

Tuesday 19 July 2011

I never realised I owned so much Heroscape™ terrain

Over the past few years I have built up quite a collection of Heroscape™ hexed terrain, which is one of the reasons why I am currently developing a version of the PORTABLE WARGAME rules so that I can use them with my Heroscape™ terrain. However, as I have bought the terrain in piecemeal packets (some when it was on sale in Argos stores at 75% off its original price and some via eBay), I have never sat down and counted up what I own. As part of the big ‘Spring clean’ of my toy/wargames room I did just that… and it was then that I realised quite how much I owned!

My current ‘collection’ of unpainted Heroscape™ hexed terrain includes:
  • 65 x 21-hex tiles (1365 hexes in total)
  • 102 x 7-hex tiles (714 hexes in total)
  • 102 x 3-hex tiles (306 hexes in total)
  • 102 x 2-hex tiles (204 hexes in total)
  • 248 x 1-hex tiles (248 hexes in total)
This is a total of 2837 hexes!

I have not included the blue 1-hex water tiles in this total, and I have not differentiated between the green, grey, and tan-coloured hexes when counting up the number of each type of hex tile.

My intention is to eventually paint and flock this collection of Heroscape™ hexed terrain in order to reduce the rather stark finish they come in ‘straight out of the box’. Some will be finished in green, some in sand, and some in other colours and textures as required.

With such a large collection, it would be silly not to use it, especially as I have now counted up how much I have; after all, one reason for the ‘Spring clean’ was to find out what I actually had in my toy/wargames room and to make sure that what I kept would be used.

10 comments:

  1. Bob - leave the dark side - sell the lot and invest in 2 foot square terrain tiles from TSS.. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve-the-Wargamer,

    I used to own some ... but had trouble storing them without them getting damaged. In the end I gave them away ... and bought both Hexon II and Heroscape hexes terrain to replace them.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate to quibble, Bob, but I think the largest Heroscape tiles are actually 24 hexes, not 21. That adds another 195 hexes to your collection!

    Thanks to you, I'm now bidding on my 5th (and hopefully final) Heroscape set on eBay. What started as a Bring & Buy bargain find has turned into an expensive addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr Vesuvius,

    You are absolutely correct! I have even more Heroscape hexes than I realised!

    Buying them can be an addiction ... as my previous buying history would seem to indicate. I did note that a set of Heroscape hex tiles was on sale on eBay today, and wondered if you or one of the other PW users were going to place bids in the hope of buying them; now I know that I was right!

    Good luck with your bidding.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you actually have 3,032 hexes, eh? Just think, sir, it wouldn't take that much more to get to four thousand, would it?

    Heck, five grand is within reach . . . and why stop there?


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bluebear Jeff,

    It is very tempting ... and it is a temptation that I am trying to resist!

    That said, if I found somewhere I could buy more at a reasonable price ...

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. But can 3032 hexes qualify as a 'portable' wargame!?

    Although, with so much terrain, you could easily set up three identical playing surfaces for an umpire-controlled, 'closed' portable wargame...

    I foresee Heroscape tiles increasing in value as a result of this publicity. Time for some 'land' speculation on ebay?

    Regards,
    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arthur1815,

    It is portable if you have a big enough car! (In truth, I can get enough for a reasonably sized PW game into a holdall ... and that includes the dice and figures as well)

    Seriously, having this much means that I can create terrain for temperate and desert locations as well as making some 'special' pieces should the need arise.

    I had considered the possibility of running an umpire controlled 'closed' game, and certainly I will have enough terrain to make this possible.

    As to an increase in prices for sets of Heroscape terrain ... well it is currently out of production and prices on eBay for the terrain have been slowly rising over the past few months.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've been using it for Battletech for the last few years. The multiple colours make for really clear (if a bit bland after a while) distinctions between different terrain types. It works very very well and fits the scale perfectly when we double-up on height.

    We should count the hexes sometime too....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arquinsiel,

    It is a very useful terrain system that can be used 'as is' or quite simply modified with a bit of paint and/or flock.

    Counting up how much you own can be a very sobering experience!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.