Pages

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Ship models that will work with Hexon II terrain

The response to my earlier blog entry about David Helber's ideas about making ship models that will 'work' with figure wargames was very positive, and so I decided to have a look at the models have I already made for that purpose.

The first eight were made from Fimo™, and several were featured in the photographs of my recent MEMOIR OF BATTLE (MOB) play-test.

Flatiron Armoured Gunboat: 4.5" x 2" (11cm x 5cm)


Armoured Gunboat: 3.75" x 1.75" (9.5cm x 4.5cm)


Light Cruiser: 5.75" x 1.75" (14cm x 4.5cm)


Coastal/River Passenger Steamer (1): 4" x 2" (10cm x 5cm)


Coastal/River Passenger Steamer (2): 4" x 2" (10cm x 5cm)


Sailing Craft (1): 3.75" x 2" (9.5cm x 5cm)


Sailing Craft (2): 4" x 2" (10cm x 5cm)


Sailing Craft (3): 3.5" x 1.75" (9cm x 4.5cm)


The next four were made from Plasticard and are as yet unpainted.

Gunboat: 6" x 2" (15cm x 5cm)


Cruiser: 8" x 2.5" (21cm x 6cm)


Ironclad Battleship (1): 10.25" x 3" (26cm x 7.5cm)


Ironclad battleship (2): 10.25" x 3" (26cm x 7.5cm)


What this comparison shows is that although the Plasticard ships are much more accurate (if somewhat distorted) models, they are just too large to represent the sort of ship they are when used with the Hexon II terrain. I have therefore come to the conclusion that the maximum size a model ship that can be used with Hexon II can be is no more than 7.75" x 2.5" (20cm x 6cm). In other words, approximately the size of the Plasticard Cruiser.

Something to ponder on methinks!

10 comments:

  1. Bob

    Nice ships! I love the Admiral class ironclad.

    PD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter Douglas,

    Thanks for the compliments! I really ought to paint the two 'Admiral'-class battleships so that I can put them on display.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great boats & ships, very neatly executed, Bob.

    You have done well with the simplification, minimalist treatment of detail with a dash of caricature while still capturing the essence of some larger ship. I can speak from experience, that's a thing easier said than done.

    I hope to see them painted soon.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all of them, the fimo ones and the plasticard ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob,

    A very interesting and informative post re the Fimo creations and I was well satisfied up to that point.

    Then came the plastic card ships.

    If I wore a hat I would take it off to you because those two Admiral class models are superb! Blow common sense and practicality - that has to the way forward for naval games although I suspect construction time was probably quite long!

    I cant wait to see them painted and for a Fletcher Pratt they would be a great choice.

    Any more on the go?

    A similar sized Hayreddin Barbarossa or even a Messudiye would be really nice to see....;-)

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Corporal_Trim (Steve),

    More compliments! Many thanks for them, although I don't know if they are really deserved.

    Again I cite the basic rule that I use for this sort of modelling; if it looks right, is probably is right.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fitz-Badger,

    I used to have more ... but somewhere along the line they seem to have got lost.

    Never mind, the positive response to these recent blog entire is encouraging me to think about a couple of 'How to ...' blog entries about the methods I use to build my models ... and that will require me to make some more!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. David Crook,

    I think that you are too easily pleased ... although the thought of using the two battleships in a naval wargame is appealing.

    As to whether or not they might be some more on the 'go' soon ... well, I don't think that you will be disappointed!

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. Construction time is more a function of how long it takes the plastic weld/cement to dry than time spent actually cutting up the Plasticard and sticking it together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another vote here for a "how to.." article... what do you use for the basic hulls of your models... they've very neat/precise..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve-the-Wargamer,

    All will be revealed over the next week or so ... I hope!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.