Pages

Wednesday 12 September 2012

My own wargames rules on my Kindle!

Emboldened by the recent success of downloading a published set of wargames rules to my Kindle, I tried to do the same with a draft set of rules that I have recently been working on.

The rules are heavily based on Richard Borg's BATTLE CRY/MEMOIR '44 rules, but with a few minor changes of my own. What I actually downloaded was a copy of the playsheet that I have been using ... and the process was very simple.

First I created an A5 version of my rules. I did this so that when it appeared on the Kindle's screen the text would be large enough to read. I then converted it into PDF format, checked that the conversion had worked, and then emailed it to my Kindle. As soon as I checked my Kindle for new items using the 'Sync & Check for Items' option in 'Shop in Kindle Store', the rules appeared onscreen!

This is what they look like on my Kindle, ...



... my iPad, and ...


... my iPhone.


Not bad, even though I say it myself!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    Fantastic! Sadly as I am a technological dinosaur I do not have any of those items so will need a boring old pdf in due course!

    Looks good though and with the new Kindle 'Fire' tablet scheduled for next month this may well change!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice.

    @ David, the Fire is very easy to use for reading PDF. It does it natively (sp?) or you can download the adobe reader app. The only disappointment is that there does not seem to be a feature to jump to a specific page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put your rules on an iPad.

    Not only can you read them, you can enlarge them, make annotations and much more besides.


    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a handy resource. I might be persuaded yet that i-phones and the like are useful tek. Useful to me, I mean, not to some upstart Big Brutha dude watching my every move...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one Bob, very useful. Not bad for an old boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Crook (or should that be Dinosaur Dave?),

    I noticed that the original Kindle is now down to less than £70.00 in the local branch of Tesco ...

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean,

    You are quite right ... but the inability to 'jump to page x' is a problem that we will no doubt find to solution to.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phil Broeders,

    It is the way forward ... and the extra 'bits' available on the iPad do make a difference.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

    The ability to do these sorts of things make tablet devices a very useful addition to the wargamers' standard kitbag.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leofwine Wargamerson,

    You young whippersnapper! If I could get at you from around my Zimmer frame I would give you a thrashing you would instantly forget!

    All the best,

    (Old) Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw this and thought of you for some reason!

    http://archive.org/details/gameofwar00maxi

    ...there's a couple of other interesting books in my latest blog post as well......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steve-the-Wargamer,

    Thanks for sending this link to me. The book looks very interesting and I have already downloaded it to keep and read at my leisure.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.