Pages

Monday 24 September 2012

Paper Soldiers ... of the Spanish Civil War: Some images

To give regular blog readers some idea how useful and detailed José María Bueno's EL EJERCITO ESPANOL EN PARADA series of paper soldiers were to me, I have photographed the sheets in pairs. To assist readers to identify which unit is which, I have listed the contents of each set first.

Set 1
  • Infanteria
  • Tiradores de Ifni-Sahara
  • Mehal-la Jalifiana
  • Bandera de F.E.T. y de las J.O.N.S.
  • Infanteria de Marina
  • Escolta mora de S.E. el Generalissimo
  • Policia Montada de Sevilla
  • Caballeria de las Milicias del Requete




Set 3
  • Artilleria de Montana
  • Artilleria de Montana, Escalon de Municionamiento
  • Primer Tercio del Requete Navarro
  • Grupo de Regulares de Melilla Numero 2
  • Tabor de Caballeria de la Mehal-la
  • Marina
  • Servicio de Trabajo de F.E.T. y de las J.O.N.S.
  • Bandera de Camisas Negras del la Division 'XXIII de Marzo'




Set 4
  • Guardia Civil de Infanteria
  • Guardia Civil de Caballeria
  • Infanteria
  • X Bandera de la Legion
  • Mehal-la Jalifiana Infanteria
  • Bandera de Falange Espanola
  • Compania de 'Bersaglieri' Motorizados
  • Compania de Carros Ligeros del C.T.V.



14 comments:

  1. There are some fantastic looking units on show here.

    Will I ever find the time and the figures to explore this period?

    Thanks for letting us view them Bob!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! And nice prints indeed
    I had hundreds of those (and many other armies) when I was small kid in the late 60s-early 70s. My first battles were with paper soldiers, later with plastic ones. I wonder what my mum did with then, probably sent into the bin

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are very nice- thanks for sharing.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a big fan of paper soldiers, and those are beautiful. It would be wonderful to see those returned to print. Thanks for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a few more scans. I'll put them up on Wargaming for Grownups this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very useful to see the various standards and heavy weapons units, lots of ideas for figure conversions here, I've been thinking of doing "Little Wars" SCW for a while now.

    Best wishes, Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. As promised, here are some large picture versions of set 1. http://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/jose-maria-buenos-el-ejercito-espanol.html

    Trebian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim Duncan,

    The SCW is notable amongst modern wars for having units that are in such very colourful uniforms.

    May I suggest building a couple of small armies that can be used with the PORTABLE WARGAME (or a similar set of rules?) to meet any 'urges' that you might have to dabble?

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anibal Invictus,

    I envy you having such fine armies when you were a child. Most of mine were cheap plastic 'variable scale' figures until Airfix came along and solved my problems!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steven Page,

    They are great figures, and every one has an individual 'personality'!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trebian,

    Thanks for the offer. I am sure that a lot of people would be interested in seeing them.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brian Carrick,

    That is a great idea ... and I wish that it had occured to me!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trebian,

    Thanks very much for doing this. I will pay you blog a visit as soon as I can.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.