Pages

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Looking backward to go forward

Yesterday was a very busy day for me. I spent time during the morning waiting indoors for someone to arrive ... and the afternoon and evening was spent in London at a meeting and dinner.

It was whilst on the train home that I was suddenly struck by a thought ... and that thought was in response to a chance remark Tim Gow made in a recent comment about his MEGABLITZ rules. He made the point that had he been writing MEGABLITZ now, he would have probably used a hexed grid rather than making players measure move distances and weapon ranges. I was thinking that this made a lot of sense, and fitted in with one or two ideas I had been tossing around with David Crook ... and then I remembered that I had done something like that some years ago. A quick search through the archive of wargames rules that I have on my computer revealed that I had actually written a set of rules entitled HEXBLITZ back in 2007 (before I began blogging) ... and even play-tested them.

Reading through the rules this morning I realised that they were actually not too bad, and that the battle report of the play-test was actually quite interesting. As far as I know I have not published either on my blog before, and therefore – with a bit of luck – I hope to do so later today or at some point tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not convinced I would use a grid for Megablitz - given that the last (not untypical) game was played over four 6x8 foot tables that's a lit of Hexon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim Gow,

    A grid might not be an option for really large battles, but for the sort of action that will fit onto a 6' x 4' (or even a 4' x 3') tabletop, it makes sense.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, my 4x8 table is waiting.....
    -Steve, former "Command Decision" fanatic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven Page,

    I hope to be able to make my HEXBLITZ rules available later today ... and then you can try them out.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.