Pages

Friday 15 March 2013

Real life ... again

Having railed yesterday against Google's decision to axe Google Reader, I had hoped that the rest of my day might be spent looking for an alternative. I tried Feedly, and was quite impressed, but I am not sure that it will be my final choice as it seemed to produce a few odd results when I wanted to look at some previously read blog entries. Thunderbird has been suggested as an alternative as it handles both emails and RSS feeds ... but I had problems setting it up when I tried it out this morning. (It needed information about the settings on my email accounts that I did not have to hand, and its automatic system for finding the settings did not appear to be able to do so.)

The quest for a replacement for Google Reader continues.

Most of my day was actually spent dealing with matters relating to my father. He will be discharged from hospital soon, and we will need to find a care home that can take him. The problem is where to find a home that will be able to provide for his needs and that has space available and that is nearer to where my brother and I live and that has a good reputation, excellent staff, and extensive facilities. This is not an easy task ... and by the end of the day I had a very unpleasant headache to show for my efforts.

Last week, in anticipation of my father's discharge from hospital, I applied for a place for him at a home run by a charity. It meets all of the requirements, and when I visited it I was very, very impressed. It felt more like a hotel than a care home. Unfortunately, as they are run by a charity, all applications have to be approved by the trustees ... and this takes time ... and lots of time is one thing that I do not have at the moment.

As a backup my wife and I have spent hours looking for alternative care homes that we might be able to place my father in, but almost all of them fail to meet one or more of our selection criteria. I need to come up with a solution soon ... but I am not sure if I will be able to.

There are times when I feel that I live in a world where everything does not quite fit together ... but I live in hope that it all will. As the saying goes, 'Everything will turn out right in the end ... and if it isn't right yet, it is not yet the end'.

9 comments:

  1. You have my sympathy, Bob. I have recently had to move my mother into another care home that could meet her needs as she grows more frail better than the one she moved into last year. Luckily, I was able to find a good - but far more expensive! - home nearby, and - touch wood! - things seem to be working out for her.
    I hope you will succeed soon, too.
    Best wishes,
    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can get it sorted out. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Conrad Kinch,

    Thanks for your words of support.

    Since I wrote the blog entry, things have moved forward. It looks as if my father will transfer to a nursing home near the hospital he is currently in. This will be an interim placement. In the meantime the application for a place in the charity's care home will continue to be processed, in the hope that he can be moved there in the near future.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arthur1815,

    Thanks for you kind thoughts and words.

    It is a truism to say that the more you pay, the better the provision tends to be. One reason I would like a place for my father in the charity-run care home is that it is run on a not-for-profit basis. The money that is paid to the home for the care that is provided all goes towards the cost of running the home, and not into an owner/shareholder's pocket.

    I have visited the home, and was most impressed. So impressed that the other homes I have visited look rather inadequate in comparison.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean,

    Thanks for your best wishes.

    Things do seem to be working themselves out. A final solution is still some way off ... but I do feet that we are finally getting somewhere.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continuing to keep you and your family upheld in my daily devotions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael Peterson,

    Many thanks for your kind words and thoughts. Things have improved somewhat since I wrote my blog entry, and it looks as if my father will soon be out of hopital and in an excellent care home.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Not the end yet" a good attitude.

    As for Google reader, I can't help but wonder if this is part of their push into the realms of Social Media. Lately they seem to be have been pushing Google+ and connect including trying to replace following with pushing.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Ross Mac,

    The quote is from a film - THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL (which I thoroughly recommend, by the way) - and it is an excellent philosophy to follow.

    I think that you are spot on about Google wanting to 'push' everyone over to using Google+ ... but I think that it might misfire on them.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.