Pages

Saturday 26 March 2016

More inspiration!

Sue and I were out when the courier tried to deliver a parcel from Amazon ... and I had to wait until our neighbour – who had taken it in on my behalf – was in and able to hand it over to me. The wait was worth it as it contained two books, both of which I know I will find inspiring.

The first was a copy of the latest Osprey in the 'New Vanguard' series (No.232) entitled THE IMPERIAL JAPANESE NAVY OF THE RUSSO-JAPANESE WAR (ISBN 978 1 4728 1119 6). It was written by Mark Stille and illustrated by Paul Wright ... and had arrived – very appropriately – whilst I was in the middle of a large pre-dreadnought model ship-building project.


I have already gained some inspiration from the illustrations in the book, and it has confirmed my decision to paint my model ships in grey in the first instance.

The second book was also published by Osprey Publishing, and is the second volume in Vesa Nenye's FINLAND AT WAR books. This one has the subtitle THE CONTINUATION AND LAPLAND WARS 1941-45 (ISBN 978 1 4728 1526 2), and as was the case with the first volume Peter Munter and Toni Wirtanen assisted in its creation, along with newcomer Chris Birks.


I have only managed to have a quick flick through this book, but it is similar in layout to the first volume, and covers the less well-known period of Finland's involvement in the Second World War. No doubt I will find it as equally inspiring as the first book, and I suspect that it might lead to yet another min-campaign at some point in the future.

8 comments:

  1. Hmm- the Pre-Dreadnought book looks an interesting read BOB- I'd imagine that perhaps there are side-profile drawings of the Naval ships. I think that many of the Japanese ships were indeed British designs and manufacture. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev,

      The book does contain quite a few coloured side views of Imperial Japanese Navy ships. Although most of the larger ships were British designed (and built), they also ordered ships from France, Italy, and Germany.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. These both look excellent Bob, thanks for posting about them. I wasn't aware the IJN Vanguard book was out yet. I'm planning an RJW naval campaign so I'll have to pick one up.

    Do you know of any good books on the Russian navy? I have an old Fred Jane book from his visits in the early 20th century, and the 'Russian vs Japanese Battleship' Osprey book. Do you know of any others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colonel Scipio,

      Glad to have been of help.

      Two books that I would recommend are THE TIDE AT SUNRISE and THE FLEET THAT HAD TO DIE.

      Good luck with your project.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I'm interested in the Russo- Japanese book, may I ask if it is a 'must buy' with new info in or just a 'nice to have' that is useful as a painting guide?

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete.,

      Definitely a 'nice to have' rather than a 'must buy'.

      I hope that helps.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Thanks Bob- I'll end up getting it in thefullness of time but I won't rush.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.