Pages

Sunday 3 February 2019

Cracking on

Thanks in part to the bad weather we have been having over the past few days, I've been able to crack on with a couple of projects.

I have almost finished the draft of MASTERS AT WAR VOLUME 2: 1920 TO 1970, and only have the Appendix (which describes the Campaign Stars and Medals awarded during the Second World War) to complete. The book can then be handed over for proof reading, after which any revisions can be made before it goes for publication.

As a break from writing, I have been working on renovating, varnishing, and re-basing some of the Russian figures from my World War II 20mm-scale collection. The batch I am working on only has twelve figures in it, but because most of them were based using a method that I have since rejected, they require more time being spent on them to bring them up to the same standard as the rest of the collection. (Each figure was fixed to a penny-sized steel washer using an epoxy glue that was covered in fine cork granules whilst it was curing. A result, the base is almost impossible to remove without damaging the figure, and I have had to keep the original bases and carefully smooth off as much of the cork as possible before I can start work on renovating the figures.)

6 comments:

  1. That's the advantage of bad weather you get more hobbying things done and not feel guilty !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Good Soldier Svjek,

      Very true ... although my wife seems to keep finding things for me to do. (I have a broken vacuum cleaner to 'fix' this afternoon!)

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. There’s always time to get weaving when the weather is poor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conrad Kinch,

      I've actually got more done that I hoped that I would ... including fixing the broken vacuum cleaner!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob,
    Have you tried soaking the Bases in Acetone? It is volatile stuff and will dissolve just about anything. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson,

      Thanks for the suggestion. My wife has an acetone-base nail varnish remover, and having seen what that does, I'm not sure that I'd want to soak painted figures in it, even to get them off an existing base.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.