Pages

Thursday 30 January 2020

Simple but very effective model landing craft

I am always on the lookout for new modelling techniques, and recently I’ve been very impressed by the model landing craft built by Peter, who writes the GRID BASED WARGAMING - BUT NOT ALWAYS blog.

As the following photographs show, Peter’s landing craft are made from four pieces of wood and MDF.


Even without the application of Peter’s pastel chalk finish, the landing craft look very effective ...


... but once they have been treated, they look amazing.


Peter recently staged a wargame about the attack on St Nazaire, for which he built the docks, a number of buildings, and some more simple and effective model warships. The following links show how he prepared for his wargame.
It is well worth reading these blog entries in order to see how Peter took this project from start to finish.

Please note that the photographs featured above are © Peter/Grid Based Wargaming - But Not Always.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bob, Thank you for interest, kind comments and shout out. Cheers, Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter,

      I was inspired by your simple but very effective models, and thought that other blog readers would find them equally inspiring.

      Wood is a excellent modelling material, especially for ships and buildings. I’ve used it myself, and think that the results were more than passable.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Rob Young,

      The essence of good modelling is to make something essentially simple look impressive ... and these are excellent examples of good modelling.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. This very nearly slipped under my radar. Effective constructs, and possibly inspiring me finally to doing something about my pitiful inventory of landing craft! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      If I wasn’t up to my eyes with other projects, I’d have a number of my own landing craft under construction on my modelling table thanks to Peter’s blog entry.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.