Pages

Saturday 29 February 2020

The Portable Colonial Wargame book: The campaign map

Starting out with the enhanced section from the original Zubia map ...


... I overlaid it with a 10 x 16 squared grid.


This gave the rough coordinates for each of the towns and villages as well as the grid square through which the local track system ran.

I then transferred these locations to a new 10 x 16 squared grid ...


... indicating the position of the main settlements using their initials and the grid squares that contained tracks with a dash (-).

I then removed the superfluous grid squares.


I then marked each town and village with a large or small circle inside each of the relevant grid squares, leaving space for additional features to be marked therein.


The next stage was to add in the course of the River Zub ...


... and to remove several grid squares that were no longer required.

I then added hills to show where the terrain would be hilly ...


... and a range of impassable hills that prohibited movement between adjacent grid squares.

I am happy with the end result, and despite few minor errors along the way, it only took me a couple of hours to produce.

6 comments:

  1. Nice looking map and interesting to see it reduced down to playable areas. I'm slowly (very slowly) trying to create a simple set of campaign rules for a Portable Napoleonic campaign (using D Featherstone and CS Grants books as a basis) so I'm keen to see what you're doing for the colonial era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      My main concern is to ensure that the campaign system is as simple as possible to use, and that the participants don’t have to end up doing loads of paperwork and record keeping. Whether I manage it or not, others will judge ... but as long as it provides a simple framework that generates tabletop battles, I’ll be happy.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. This is looking very good already. For all that I would like to do much more in the way of campaigning, I'm afraid that my own well-springs of creativity are not much more than a trickle. So I'm very interested to see where this goes.

    Mr Maudlin: I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with and all. I have a War of the Sixth Coalition to fight, following Napoleon's 'Retreat from Smolensk'. That one has been on the back-burner for a while, but not forgotten! I do, however, have basic maps I can use or develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo,

      Today I managed to write the campaign rules to go with the map, and the background to the campaign is almost finished, I then intend to play through the first few moves of the campaign so that I can use it as an example in the book.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Methinks there might be ... manifestations ... afoot in the Benighted Continent of Aethiops, that could break out in the none too distant future...

      Delete
    3. Archduke Piccolo,

      Let’s hope that it won’t be too far into the future!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.