Pages

Friday 16 October 2020

'Cartooning': The modelling equivalent of 'bathtubbing'

According to Steven's Balagan blog, the concept of 'bathtubbing' a wargames campaign came about thus:

'The first game where the reduction in scale took place was Frank Chadwick’s reduced-scale Barbarossa campaign. Frank boiled the Soviet navy down to a handful of vessels, and created models of them which were . . . shall we say . . . lacking in certain details.

John Harshman saw the models, and remarked that they looked like something suitable for sailing in a bathtub. Frank loved the notion, and the campaign was henceforth called “Bathtub Barbarossa”.'

When I read this, I was immediately struck by the fact that it was Frank Chadwick's model ships that brought about the term 'bathtub' when referred to a wargame campaign, and that as many of my model ships are also 'lacking in certain details' (and accuracy!), I have for years been doing what Frank Chadwick did when I created my 'cartoon' ship models to use alongside my wargame figures.

It is interesting to note that this reflection on 'cartooning' and 'bathtubbing' comes at a time when I am trying to formulate my own campaign rules for an Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War campaign, and when my fellow bloggers Archduke Piccolo and David Crook are building 'cartoon' model ships to use on their respective tabletops.

This has set my modelmaking mojo twitching, and I am trying to resist the temptation to build some 'cartoon' warships. I did set myself some short-term aim less that a fortnight ago, and so far I have achieved two of the three aims I set myself. I am determined to achieve the third (which is to complete the new, colour version of the Madasahatta map) ... but after that, who knows what I'll do next?

One of my cartoon warships in action during the Winter-ish War.

Maybe I might just build myself a few 'cartoon' warships!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    I'd call your type of ships "Compact Scale". Hope your doing well there in London. I hope your trip to Hospital goes well- I had mine some years ago and my Partner had hers some three weeks ago- all good and no harm in getting things checked. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I rather like the term ‘Compact Scale’! It sums up my approach to modelling wargame warships rather well.

      I will have to wait a week or so for my results to come back. Once they have, I will know what I will need to do next.

      Keep safe and keep well,,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hi Bob -
    I think there is an added attraction to the 'cartooning' of models - especially of naval kit that one wants to use with 1:72 scale figures. To my mind, they look like toys, as well as looking like what they are meant to be. They have a 'cuteness' factor that, somewhat to my surprise, I find appealing.

    Meanwhile, the Georgios Averof construction is complete, and, discovering that I had the Messudieh ship's main turrets quite wrong, have redone them with SINGLE guns, and did the broadside armaments as well. Will post about them probably tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      You are quite right, they are toys ... and if they look like toys, who cares? We play wargames with them. They are not designed to be display pieces ... although, if they are nice models, they do have an aesthetic appeal all of their own.

      From what I can remember, Messudieh’s main armament was never actually fitted, and that her main ‘guns’ were wooden replacements that were intended to give the impression that her guns had been installed.

      I look forward to seeing your newly completed models.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Hi Bob -
      In the Turcowaz Navy those turrets are going to have something a lot more militant than the 'quaker' variety! 10-inch, if I recall correctly.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    3. Archduke Piccolo,

      That is good news! I always thought that with her proper guns fitted, the Messudieh would have been a useful addition to the Ottoman/Turcowaz fleet!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Well that's where the phrase came from then! I've always wondered. As for the 'cartoon' ships, I love the whole look of them and immediately find them fun and want to play a game with them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      It was news to me as well!

      I’m pleased that you like my ‘cartoon’ models ... and yes, they do engender a feeling of fun and a desire to use them!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Hi Bob,

    I never realised how the expression ‘bathtubbing’ came about! I was aware that Frank Chadwick used it to describe his Barbarossa campaign but I did not know the history. Very apt! I reckon your creative ship building gene should be looking at the French for some inspiration....;-)

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      I also thought that Frank Chadwick had invented the term ... but it appears that he didn’t.

      Funnily enough, I’ve had a hankering to build ‘cartoon’ models of the Dunkerque and Strasbourg for some time ...

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. There is a Japanese word - chibi - that describes shortened versions of things.
    Search for 'chibi tanks/ships' to see examples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jfidz,

      Back in 2015, I looked at the wargaming potential of chibi maru models. (https://wargamingmiscellany.blogspot.com/search?q=Chibi) I like the models, but they are horrendously expensive to buy in the UK.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. That's a very nice model battleship. I really like this style of model making - you should definitely make some more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      I really ought to make some more of these warships. I'm certainly going to need them for my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War campaign.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. While your models are SD chibi cute they have one definite advantage over my armada in that they actually exist and can be used in games.
    I was just talking to my oldest son yesterday, bemoaning the fact that there's no Lego style of building block that allows a gamer to quickly construct reasonable facsimiles of various warships.
    I'm fully capable of making wooden ships but, as my wife says, the "butt glue" is so strong. Maybe I'll take a trip to a nearby Lego shop and take advantage of the pick-a-brick bins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      I know that COBI make plastic building block kits for building warships ... BUT they are very expensive. There are a few Chinese toy manufacturers that make something similar, but they are also expensive.

      I understand the David Crook (who writes the ‘A Wargaming Odyssey‘ blog) Is working with Warbases to produce precut MDF components that people can use to construct ‘bathtub’ model warships. If you don’t already do so, it might be worth following his blog so that you are up to date with the development of this project.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.