Pages

Thursday 1 December 2011

Anyone for T … 34s?

Over the years I have hankered after refighting the war between Soviet Russia and the German-led Axis countries. To this end I have been accumulating figures and vehicles (including tanks) for both sides for some time. During the recent sort out of my toy/wargames room I came across some of these acquisitions, including quite a few Russian T34 tanks. The largest number is from the range produced by Corgi a few years back. They are the same size as my ROCO Minitank T34s, so I must assume that they are 1:87th-scale as well.



As you can see from these photographs, the majority of my Corgi T34s (ten out of seventeen) are armed with 85mm guns and will be suitable for both the latter part of World War II and the post-war era up until the 1960s … and possibly beyond.

Interestingly I also have a number of German tanks in the same scale from the same manufacturer, including five Pzkpfw IV, three Pzkpfw V Panther, and three Pzkpfw VI Tiger I tanks. Non-armoured vehicles for both sides are slightly more scarce, but I have found two 1:87th-scale American half-tracks and three 'deuce-and-a-half' trucks (all from die-cast sets of military 'toy' vehicles) that will probably do for the Soviets and five Mercedes-Benz LG3000 Trucks from the HASBRO Indiana Jones Titanium Series for the Germans. The Mercedes-Benz LG3000 Trucks are closer to 1:100th-scale but do not look out of place or undersized when placed next to the Corgi tanks.

8 comments:

  1. Nice kit, Bob. T34s are sexy tanks, no doubt. What rules will be using for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seems to be a reasonable number Bob. How many more are you planning to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim Gow,

    At present I don't have a definite plan as to how many more I will need to buy - if any - but if I see them on sale, I will probably buy them.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. The T-34/85 take the biscuit for me

    Nice collection, I won't ask if it necessarily makes complete scale sense with your other figures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

    The T34/85 is also my favourite of the two types of T34.

    As to figures ... well during my 'sort out' I found a large number of unpainted 20mm metal figures and it would be a great waste not to use them.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mad Padre,

    They are nice, aren't they?

    I am not sure what rules I will be using (possibly my own 'Red Flag & Iron Crosses' rules or a development of Joseph Morschauser's 'Modern' rules), but I do intend to base them so that I can use them for 'Megablitz' if I want to.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my own researches on and about the T34-85 I was surprised to see they are still in use in over a dozen nation's armies. Considering it was the most produced tank model of all time (if include the licensed copies), hardly surprising.

    Nice collection. A few SU tank destroyers and some studebakers would round it off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adelaide Gamer,

    The T34/85 was a resilient piece of kit, and it is not surprising that it has lasted so long.

    You are right about the need for some SU85s or SU100s and Studebakers … but Corgi did not make any so I have to look elsewhere for possible alternatives.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.