Pages

Friday 12 April 2013

Funny Little Wars ... on the tabletop

One thing that Tim Gow has recently been experimenting with recently is a sort of half-sized version of FUNNY LITTLE WARS. The units are half-size (i.e. they have ten figures per battalion) and all the movement distances are measured in centimetres rather than in inches. This means that it is possible to use the rules on a normal wargames tabletop, thus requiring less space, a lawn, and reducing wear and tear on elderly knees!

I love the idea of re-fighting battles using this modern-day variant of H G Wells LITTLE WARS rules, but until now lack of space has precluded me from doing so at home. (I do have a lawn ... but I live on the side of a hill that has a 1-in-10 slope which is not an ideal surface for wargaming.) Tim has shown that it is possible to avoid this problem by thinking laterally ... and now I can indulge this particular passion. I have the Army of Cordeguay set up for full-sized FUNNY LITTLE WARS battles, and it would not require more than a few minutes work to split it into two ... and then the fighting can begin!

The only drawn-back is that it is yet another wargames project that will absorb my time and money ... but I would rather have too many projects than none at all.

6 comments:

  1. Go for it Bob ,after all it is the Centenary year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tradgardmastare,

    I am very, very tempted. I hope to persuade Tim Gow to put on a session at COW2013 so that others can also give it a try as well.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persuade me? Oh yeah, that'll be a struggle....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim Gow,

    I know that it will be a struggle for you to be persuaded, but I live in hope ...

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Dancing Cake Tin,

    I take it that this is another vote in favour of this idea.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.