Pages

Saturday 6 April 2013

My second Wargaming in History book

I have been waiting in a state of barely concealed anxious anticipation for the arrival of my second WARGAMING IN HISTORY book to arrive in the post ... and today was my lucky day!


Like Volume 2, WARGAMING IN HISTORY VOLUME 1: THE SEVEN YEARS WAR: KREFELD, SANDERSHAUSEN AND LUTTERBERG 1758 was also written by Charles Stuart Grant (with contributions by Phil Olley) and published by Ken Trotman Publishing in 2010 (ISBN 978 1 905074 98 3). It follows the same basic structure to Volume 2, but does have slightly more information about the wargames armies that were used.

I have only managed to skim through the newly-arrive volume, but the same enthusiasm and love of wargaming that was so obvious in the first book I bought is very noticeable, and I am very pleased to have purchased this book as well.

One thing that struck me about the battles that are covered in both Volumes 1 and 2 is how easy it would be to re-fight them with figures from later eras. I am always on the lookout for this sort of thing, and I have already begun to wonder if I could re-fight one or two of the battles using my 15mm-scale Austro-Prussian armies.

8 comments:

  1. The section on how the authors designed their scenarios is worth its weight in gold. Really inspiring stuff. I'd always been very nervous about scenario design, but it helped me get over my jitters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad Kinch,

    It is an excellent book, and I have already decided to order the next book in the series, especially as it deals with the American Civil War.

    I can see books from this series forming the basis of my birthday and Christmas present 'list' for some time to come.

    Scenario design is not as easy as it appears to people who have never tried doing it ... but the designs in these books are excellent examples of how to do it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should never have read these posts about these series. I now want them very badly.:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean,

    I felt the same once I had bought the first book!

    What I don't understand is why I didn't start buying them before.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob, which volume (between I and 2) you suggest if someone could only get one of them . . . and why?


    -- Jeff


    ReplyDelete
  6. Bluebear Jeff,

    They are both excellent books, but if given the choice I would select the first book in the series as it explains how Charles Stuart Grant developed his style of wargaming from that of his father. It seems to set out the philosophy that is followed in the second book.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. They have clearly decided to get a new work out quick just to please their newest fan ;-) http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=413069481

    Regards

    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. JWH (John),

    What a coincidence! I had not seen that announcement on The Miniatures Page.

    Another book to add to my 'to buy' list.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.