Pages

Wednesday 26 July 2017

Back to my wargame board!

Back in February 2015 I built a small, portable wargame board to use with my Hexon II hexed terrain using a robust 2' x 3' (60cm x 90cm) notice board (i.e. one made from wood and MDF and not cork).


In order to ensure that the hexes did not move about whilst I was using the wargame board, I attached thin beading inside the edge of the notice board.

This not only stopped the hexes from moving, but also helped to stiffen the wargame board so that it did not flex as much whilst it was being carried or moved about.

Once finished the game board could accommodate a 6 x 8 hexed grid …


… and during the following weeks and months I used it for several mini-campaigns set in Eastern Europe …



… and the Middle East.



Having seen what MAN OF TIN ...


... has done using Heroscape hexed terrain on a small wargame board ...

A photograph of MAN OF TIN's recent Battle of Pine Ridge River Crossing wargame. It used Heroscape hexes, old Airfix American Civil War figures, and a repainted 'Train in a Box' railway set.  I thought that the whole thing was an inspired use of relatively easy to obtain components. © MAN OF TIM.
... it made me wonder how many Heroscape hexes I could get onto my wargame board. (I bought loads of Heroscape hexes years ago, and I have been waiting for an excuse/good idea to use it ever since.) I tried it ... and found that I could fit a 14 x 19 grid of Heroscape hexes onto my wargame board.

The Heroscape hexes are 4cm from face-to-face as opposed to the Hexon II 10cm face-to-face hexes, but having a greater number of hexes to manoeuvre on has set me thinking. By using single figures (i.e. one per hex) I might be able to develop a skirmish-level version of my PORTABLE WARGAME rules. Alternately I could deploy smaller figures on the warboard and use the rules as they are … but on a much larger grid that I can get on my normal wargames table.

It is certainly something for me to think about.

10 comments:

  1. One has to admit that MofT can pack an awful lot into a tiny space and make it seem big.

    I like the look of both setups and they each offer something different. If he can fit 4 1/72nd Airfix on a herohex surely a 15mm PW unit could fit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      He certainly does manage to make his terrain board look very 'busy' ... which gives in the appearance of being bigger than it is.

      I hope to play around with my Heroscape hexes and some figures over the next few days to see if I can use PW units with them. I can't see that I will have much problem with 15mm figures, but I'll be interested to see whether or not 20mm figures look right on the smaller hexes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. You could try 6mm troops, or 1/300 armour for some larger actions? It would be a cheaper way to trying other periods too. A skirmish version of your rules would be interesting.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob Kett,

      Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a couple of 6mm/1:300th-scale Spanish Civil War armies that I could experiment with.

      I've been asked before about producing a skirmish-level version of my PW rules, and it is something that I am giving some thought to.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Excellent stuff! (both yours, which I remember from various posts, always enjoyable and food for thought and inspiration) and his (as other said, lots packed into a small space). Both look like they are fertile ground for lots of fun little wars and skirmishes.
    Almost makes me want to go out and buy a bunch of hexes! (but I won't at this time; too many other good things on the burners)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitz-Badger,

      One of the joys of the Internet and blogging is the way we can gain inspiration and pick up other people's ideas so quickly and easily ... and this is a case in point.

      You might buy some hexes one day, but in the meantime I hope that you continue to enjoy seeing how useful they can be.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. It's amazing what you can do with a small space. should we expect some more colonial shenanigans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conrad Kinch,

      The feedback I have had from my PORTABLE WARGAME books indicates that quite a few wargamers are seeing the advantage of 'small is beautiful' wargames ... and what Man of Tin has done is an excellent example of what can be achieved.

      I am certainly thinking about fighting some colonial battles in the near future ... but I have one or two things that I need to sort out first.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Bob,

    I might have mentioned this before, but you can also order "half hexes" from Kallistra at a small additional cost. They will cut the hexes for you, so you can fill up the ugly holes along the sides.

    The advantage is that you can treat these half-hexes as full-hexes for gaming purposes, so have effectively extended your gaming board by some small number of additional hexes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil Dutré,

      In the past I have considered buying some Hexon II half hexes, and I will probably get around to it one day. Perhaps I could use some of the revenue from the sale of my books to pay for it!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.