Pages

Saturday 22 July 2017

Battle for Moscow: Panfilov's 28

I recently bough a copy of a DVD of BATTLE FOR MOSCOW: PANFILOV'S 28, and have just managed to watch it.


After the initial scenes, during which the numerous characters are introduced to the audience, the film depicts a series of attacks by German Infantry and Tanks on a Rifle Company of 316th Rifle Division. The latter was commanded by General Panfilov, and the film purports to tell the story of the heroic defence conducted by the company during the German offensive to capture Moscow in November 1941.




There is some doubt as to whether or not the original story is totally true or whether it might have been a propaganda version designed to bolster Russian morale at a very difficult time. Regardless of that, the film seems to portray the fighting that the 316th Rifle Division took part in very realistically, and shows why the unit was renamed 8th Guards Rifle Division.



Two things to note:
  • Firstly that very few of the special effects were done using CGI. Most were done using models ... and in my opinion everything looks more realistic because of it.
  • Secondly that this film was crowd-funded in the earlier stages of development and production, although it did receive state support later on.
I bought my copy of this DVD for £3.00 ... and felt that it was very good value at the price. It certainly entertained me for two hours and revived my interest in starting an Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War project at some time in the future.

6 comments:

  1. You did well for £3. It is a tenner on eBay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobby,

      I bought mine in an ASDA outlet store. It was on a display of DVDs priced between £3.00 and £7.00.

      I suppose that this proves that it pays to shop around.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Good spot
    Thanks for the review and tip off
    Off to ASDA tomorrow lunch-time I shall go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      Good luck with finding a copy!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Success got it, now all I need is some quiet time away from the kids and wife to settle down to some "me time"

      Delete
    3. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      I how thst you enjoy watching it as much as I did.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.