Pages

Monday 24 March 2014

I've always wanted an airbrush ... and now I have one!

I have always wanted to own an airbrush ... and now I have one!

This morning – on the way back from our second trip of the day to the re-cycling centre with a carload of carpet, underlay, and gripper strip – my wife and I stopped off at the local branch of Lidl. Amongst the 'special offers' on sale was a complete airbrush set (including an electric compressor) for £49.99.



Over the years I have thought about buying an airbrush several times, but the cost of the compressed air canisters or the compressor I would need always struck me as being more than I was willing to pay ... but this 'special offer' was too good to let pass.

The airbrush set includes:
  • A singe-action airbrush gun with adjustable paint flow volume
  • An airbrush hose
  • A measuring pipette
  • Several glass mixing containers
  • A range of six basic colour paints
  • Paint thinners
  • A compressed airhose
  • Three valve adaptors
  • A low-noise air compressor
  • A three-year manufacturer's warranty
I have no idea how good an airbrush artist I will be, but my mother was – in her day – an expert and used it to 'touch up' photographs and to produce artwork for film posters. (During the late 1940s and early 1950s my mother worked for the company that distributed Warner Brothers films in the UK. Amongst the 'stars' that she met was Ronald Reagan ... and somewhere in the family archives there is a photograph of the two of them shaking hands.)

2 comments:

  1. Good job Bob - I've had similar pangs and always resisted them. This could open some doors for you in terms of rapidly getting armies painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad Kinch,

    I am pleased to hear that I am not the only person who had always wanted an airbrush, but until now had resisted the temptation to buy one. Now I have it, I hope to try using it ASAP ... once the conservatory is finished!

    I can see its main use as a quick way to undercoat figures and to paint vehicles ... but I am sure that if I get the hang of how to use it, I will find other uses as well.

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. I have had one or two emails telling me that I have bought the worst airbrush going ... and that I should have bought a much more expensive one that will do all sorts of things that I cannot ever envisage doing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.