Pages

Thursday, 19 October 2017

Baltic warships: Part 2b: The U-boat U-995

Just outside Kiel at the Naval Memorial and Museum, Laboe, is a preserved U-boat, the U-995.






U-995 is an example of a Type VIIC/41 U-boat. She was laid down on 25th November 1942 by Blohm & Voss in Hamburg, Germany, and commissioned on 16th September 1943. She took part in nine war patrols and is credited with sinking five ships and badly damaging one.

She was in Trondheim at the end of the Second World War, and surrendered to the British, who passed her on to the Norwegians.

At the end of the war on 8 May 1945 she was stricken at Trondheim, Norway. She was [2] and then transferred to Norwegian ownership in October 1948. She then served in the Royal Norwegian Navy as the Kaura from the end of 1952 until 1965, when she was decommissioned. She was eventually handed over to the German Navy League and was moved to Laboe in October 1971.

When is service during the Second World War, the design's characteristics are:
  • Displacement: 747 tons surfaced; 846 tons submerged
  • Dimensions:
    • Length: 67.10m
    • Beam: 6.20m
    • Draft: 4.74m
  • Propulsion: 2 × diesel engines (on surface or whilst snorkeling) or 2 × electric motors (submerged) driving 2 shafts
  • Speed: 17.7 knots (surfaced); 7.6 knots (submerged)
  • Range: 8,500 nautical miles (surfaced); 80 nautical miles (submerged)
  • Complement: 44 to 60
  • Armament: 1 x 88mm (1 x 1) deck gun; 1 x 37mm (1 x 1) anti-aircraft cannon; 4 x 20mm (2 x 2) anti-aircraft cannon; 5 x 21-inch torpedo tubes (4 bow and 12 stern) and 14 torpedoes

No comments:

Post a Comment