Pages

Tuesday 24 October 2017

Miniature Wargames Issue 415

For reasons that will become apparent, I am rather pleased that I decided to renew my subscription to MINIATURE WARGAMES for a further three months.

The latest issue arrived whilst I was on our latest cruise, and I have only just had the time to read it.


The articles included in this issue are:
  • Welcome (i.e. the editorial) by John Treadaway
  • Forward observer
  • Send three and fourpence: Rolica: The Peninsular War: A scenario for Command & Colors: Napoleonics by Conrad Kinch
  • Reinventing an old friend: Part Three by Jon Sutherland
  • Less is More: A show report about Colours 2017 by John Treadaway
  • A bad case of the Asteroids: How to build economical scenery for a space-based gaming table by John Treadaway
  • The “Silent City”: The Armies of Rei Bouba: A unique army list for Death in the Dark Continent by Chris Peers
  • Darker Horizons
    • Fantasy Facts
    • Portable Hammer: Adapting the Portable Wargame for fantasy battles by Arthur Harman
  • Show report: Hereward 2017 by John Treadaway
  • Nostalgia ain’t what is used to be: Tips on bringing a Retro Project to the tabletop by Andy Copestake
  • Recce
  • Foaming Water: The continuing tales of a wargames widow by Diane Sutherland
  • Why bother with figures?: A rebuttal by Noel Williams
  • Club Directory
So what did I enjoy in this issue?

It will be of no surprise to anyone that Arthur Harman’s Portable Hammer article was far and away my favourite item in this issue. I’d already seen the text, which Arthur had kindly shared with me … but when I saw it with all the photographs that John Treadaway had used to illustrate it, and that he had made it the lead item on the magazine's cover, I was bowled over! The article covered eleven pages … which represents over an eighth of the magazines entire page length!

(Back on Planet Reality, it is nice to note that Arthur’s article has resulted in increased interest in my rules … but not – as yet – any additional book sales.)

There were also quite a few other articles that I enjoyed reading, including Conrad Kinch’s Send three and fourpence (I’m a sucker for any Command & Colors scenarios, which I copy and file away for future use), Chris Peers’ The “Silent City” army lists (another article to be copied and stored for future reference), and Andy Copestake’s Nostalgia ain’t what is used to be (which reminded me that I still have an unfinished Napoleonic project to complete).

I note that the dreaded Club Directory is still there … and I must admit to not having read Noel Williams’ Why bother with figures? because it sounded too much like the debates that used to take up pages in the early issues of THE NUGGET.

6 comments:

  1. Many congrats on your rule-set being so prominently featured within "Miniature Wargames", Bob. I've literally just bought "The Portable Wargame" via Amazon, and next month plan to paint up some Napoleonics with which to give it a try (admittedly using the Late 19th C rules).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blaxkleric,

      I was very pleased to see Arthur's article had been published so soon. I think that it illustrates the flexibility of the rules rather well.

      Thanks for buying a copy of my book. I hope that you enjoy reading it and using the rules. I am working on a Napoleonic version, but it won't be published for some time.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob, note the Club directory has dropped two pages. My understanding is that the title page to Horizons has also gone, as has one page of adverts, in effect freeing up 4 additional pages for game content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm,

      I hadn't realised that these changes had been made, but it would account for why I felt that this issue had more content than previous ones. Let's hope this tend continues!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.