Pages

Tuesday, 10 October 2017

The Australian Colonial Navies: New South Wales

The ships used by the colonial navy of New South Wales included:

Spitfire (Gunboat):
  • 60 tons; 14 crew; 1 x 32 pdr Gun (never fitted)
  • In service from 1855 to 1859, when she was transferred to Queensland.
Acheron (Torpedo boat):
  • 16 tons; 9 crew; 1 x Spar torpedo (replaced in 1887 by a 14-inch Schwartzkopff torpedo launcher)
  • In service from 1879 to 1902, when she was sold and used as a launch by the Quarantine Service until the 1930s.
Avernus (Torpedo boat):

  • 16 tons; 9 crew; 1 x Spar torpedo (replaced in 1887 by a 14-inch Schwartzkopff torpedo launcher)
  • In service from 1879 to 1902, when she was sold and used as a launch by the Quarantine Service until the 1930s.
Wolverine (Corvette):

  • 2,568 tons; 266 crew; 17 x 64 pdr MLR Guns; 2 x 9 pdr Guns; 1 x 7 pdr Boat Gun; 1 x Gatling Machine Gun
  • Former Royal Navy vessel that was transferred to New South Wales in 1882. Basically unseaworthy, she was used for training and never fully crewed or armed. Sold in 1893 and hulked in Aukland.
Lilian (Minelayer)
  • 195 tons; 5 crew
  • Converted from a coastal trading vessel in 1888 and transferred to government service as a tug in 1898. Sold in 1960.
Ohm (Inshore minelayer):
  • 33 tons
  • In service from 1893 until 1901, when she was deemed to be unserviceable, although she was still in government service in 1919.
Miner (Coastal minelayer):
  • 160.5 tons
  • In service from 1901 until 1918 servicing the minefield associated with Sydney Fortress. Relocated to Port Phillip Fortress in 1918, and sold in 1923 to become a tug. Lost in 1950.

No comments:

Post a Comment