Pages

Wednesday 6 October 2010

Order, counter-order, disorder

It is alleged that Gaius Petronius Arbiter once wrote that
We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganised. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralisation.
This sort of sums up my professional life at the moment. I have been sat in my office for the last hour waiting to be be told when the planned INSET (In Service Training) session booked for today will start. The session was supposed to start at 2.00pm ... but the person who is supposed to be running it has not yet turned up.

I began to do some lesson preparation ... and was then told to stop what I was doing and to go to another room where the INSET was about to start.

It didn't.

After sitting there for some time, I gave up and drifted back to my office to do some work ... and almost as soon as I had started, I was told that the INSET had been cancelled ... and I was supposed to attend a faculty meeting instead.

I am now waiting to be told when the faculty meeting will start ... and where it will be held ... which is why I have time to write a blog entry whilst I am at work.

Confusion reigned ... and we all got wet!

PS. I have just been told that the faculty meeting has been cancelled! Order, counter-order, disorder ...

4 comments:

  1. Hurry up and wait!
    If you'd wanted to join the army...
    Also, if you want to take a look at that Specials Deck we've done for Battle Cry (with Mr. Kinch) let me know

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you want to make sure that your retirement plans are not cancelled.

    It's nice to have a target!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donogh,

    I can just about live with the confusion, but it is the lack of understanding that my life at work is not something that should be changed on a mere whim that is getting to me today. On Monday I could have been hurt in the line of duty; on Wednesday I am not worth the courtesy of being told what is happening until it is too late for me to do something else.

    Rant over. I would be very interested in the 'Specials Deck' you have produced, and will be in contact with you later today.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim Duncan,

    My retirement plans have been cancelled so often that I have given up worrying about them!

    I just accept that I will retire when it actually happens!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.