Pages

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Burns Night: The wait was worth it!

I finally got home at about 8.30pm ... only thirteen hours after I left for work this morning. Was my evening wasted? Well, I did manage to see seven potential students in two hours, but most of them were only 'just looking'. Mind you, if we manage to recruit a couple of them, it makes the future of the course I teach a bit more secure.

My wife and I finally ate our Burns Night Supper at 9.00pm ... and as custom demands, it was accompanied by a wee dram. The haggis was good, the 'neeps were sweet, the 'tatties were mashed to a creamy consistency ... and the 'water of life' was a reasonable blend.

All-in-all, it was a good end to a long day.

4 comments:

  1. Worth waiting for. I wish you and Mrs. Cordery joy of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad Kinch,

    Thanks for your good wishes.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mention of Haggis reminded me of the Great Haggis War of 1992. It seems my older sister was invited to a friend's house for some haggis. Neither she nor anyone else there was able to partake, however. After she left, a mutual friend raced to her house and left a jar of it sitting on her kitchen table (back in my home town no one locks their doors). My sister knew immediately who the culprit was, and mailed the stuff to her a few weeks later. Her friend naturally retaliated in kind. Back and forth went the haggis, enriching the postal service. Inasmuch as they were both soon on the lookout for a happy surprise by mail, they resorted to much cleverness: my sister, for example, put the haggis in a pastic freezer bag and ironed it out, then sent it in a flat box.
    Eventually the haggis became too ripe to continue, showing a variety of colors in the bag as it decomposed. My dimwitted younger sister thought it would be a good idea to turn it into petite fors, but opening the bag caused her to lose her lunch into her host's garden. She did so again that night at dinner, whereupon peace was declared, and the haggis was permanently retired.

    Just thought I'd make your day a bit surreal.

    Best regards,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,

    What a wonderful - and very believable - story! Many thanks for sharing it with me and my blog readers.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.