Pages

Saturday 22 January 2011

The portable wargame: Some slight rule changes

The rules I have been using with my portable wargame are heavily based on Joseph Morschauser's 'Frontier' wargames rules (as featured in John Curry's reprint of Joseph Morschauser's HOW TO PLAY WAR GAMES IN MINIATURE). These rules work quite well, but do not allow Units other than those armed with Artillery to have any ability to engage the enemy at a distance. In other words, Units armed with firearms have no 'reach', and fight in the same way as those armed with close combat weapons (e.g. swords and spears).

This has no real effect on the game if both sides are armed with similar weapons, but if one side is exclusively armed with firearms and the other with close combat weapons (as happened in my recent tryout of the game), it can look and feel unbalanced. I have therefore decided to amend my existing rules so that they give Units armed with firearms the ability for engage enemy Units at a distance, and I am going to use the firing mechanism from Morschauser's 'Musket' rules as the basis for this change. Once this is done, I hope to play-test the amended rules in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.