Pages

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Combining elements of Morschauser's 'Frontier' and 'Modern' wargames rules

For the last few weeks I have been working on and off – mainly off! – to combine elements of Joseph Morschauser's 'Frontier' and 'Modern' wargames rules into a 'new' set of wargames rules for fighting battles set during the early and mid-twentieth century.

Now this course of action may seem a little odd to my regular blog readers, who will remember that just before I went on my cruise I had been working on a set of wargames rules for that period. These rules combined
  • The basic structure of Joseph Morschauser's 'Modern' period wargames rules (modified for use on 10cm Hexon II hexed terrain)
  • The turn sequence from Joseph Morschauser's 'Frontier' wargames rules
  • The basic combat system from Richard Borg's MEMOIR '44 wargame
  • The use of MEGABLITZ-like Unit strength markers
The working title for the rules was MEMOIR OF MODERN BATTLE, and I did quite a lot of development work on them whilst I was on my cruise.

The problem was that when I got home, I had to put the rules aside for a few days to do other things ... and when I re-read the draft I was working on, they seemed rather 'clunky' and over-complex. I then re-read the heavily Morschauser-inspired 'Modern Period Wargames Rules' that I wrote for inclusion in John Curry's reprint of Joseph Morschauser's HOW TO PLAY WAR GAMES IN MINIATURE and realised that they were a much better set of rules than MEMOIR OF MODERN BATTLE were ... and that by simply combining them with the turn sequence from Joseph Morschauser's 'Frontier' wargames rules, they could be made even better.

That is exactly what I have been doing – when I have had the time – and the 'new' wargames rules are now almost complete, although they still need proof reading to check for any obvious mistakes. I hope to play-test them very soon ... work, family, and Ofsted permitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.