Pages

Saturday 1 October 2011

The 'Nostalgia' Project revisited ... in passing

My wife and I have spent most of today visiting my father-in-law in Herne Bay, Kent. We did his shopping for him, helped sort out (and pay) his bills, and confirmed with him that he definitely wanted to move to the flat we had found for him in wardened accommodation in the centre of the town.

After a short break for lunch, we then visited the estate agent through whom we are buying the flat on behalf of my father-in-law. The vendors have accepted the off we made for the flat, and we managed to sort out what steps we now have to take to purchase it. It was too late in the day to visit a local solicitor to arrange for them to act for us, but we have the name of a highly recommended one whom we shall contact early next week.

As a result of all of the above, I have not had a great deal of time to even think about wargaming. Once thing I did do, however, was to look through and begin sorting my archive of photographs of Swedish Armoured Fighting Vehicles … and as I did so I was struck by an idea.

Years ago I had an imagi-nation called Opeland. It was very similar in many ways to Sweden, and the tanks that I built for its ‘army’ were loosely based on various Swedish tank designs. I have wanted to resurrect this imagi-nation – and its archrival Upsland – for some time, and I named this my ‘Nostalgia’ Project. It has been on the backburner for some time, but today, when looking at the following photograph, I thought that this particular design looked like an amalgam of two other tank designs … a Pzkpfw III hull with a T34/76 turret atop it.


I very quickly used my image manipulation computer programs to add a drawing of a T34/76 turret to that of the hull of a Pzkpfw III … et voila!


I then realised that I had 1:100th-scale models of both a Pzkpfw III and a T34/76 to hand (both are from the range of Axis & Allies Miniatures) and it was a matter of a few seconds work to put the T34/76 turret onto the Pzkpfw hull.


The resulting design is not exactly like its Swedish original … but it is not that different.

Food for thought, I think ... especially as Zvezda make very reasonably priced 1:100th-scale models of both the Pzkpfw II and T34/76.

PS. The Swedish tank is a Stridsvagn m/42.

2 comments:

  1. Aye, 'tis a queer beast Cordery, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad Kinch,

    It sure is.

    In reality the Stridsvagn m/42 had a narrower hull than the Pzkpfw III, and the turret therefore appeared wider when compared with the hull.

    The Swedish Army's Stridsvagn m/42 were later rebuilt with a new turret and longer gun to become the Stridswagn m/74.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.