Pages

Thursday 13 October 2011

Places to go ...

My trip to the bank to find out if the 'lost' documents had been found was successful ... in more ways that one.

The bank's staff had found the 'missing' documents and were able to hand them over to me ... much to my relief. On the way back to my car I passed through a branch of one of the large, local supermarkets and saw a portable DVD/CD player on sale ... so I bought it!

Until a couple of years ago I had a TV and VHS video player in my toy/wargames room, and I used to enjoy having a film playing whilst I was painting or making models. Eventually the TV stopped working properly and the VHS tapes were replaced by DVDs ... and since then I have not had the facility to watch/listen to an action film whilst relaxing at my work table. Now I do ... and have the added advantage that I can also listen to music or a recorded book if I want to.

Not a bad 'off the cuff' purchase ... and at a very reasonable price too!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    Great idea for a den and a handy purchase to boot. I have a portable sound system aka a 'ghetto blaster' and use my netbook for films as I have a separate disc drive for the same.

    My problem is that I am never disciplined enough to listen/watch as a background entertainment - the painting/modelling etc slows down considerably as a result as I watch/listen!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Crook,

    The joy about the portable DVD player is that its 'footprint' as very small and it therefore does not take up a lot of space when compared to my laptop and/or CD player.

    I do like to listen to music and/or the spoken word when painting and modelling; being able to have films in the background as well is a big bonus for me, although I suspect that my eyes will sometimes be drawn to the action when they should be looking at the task in hand!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good buy. I usually listen to the CBC or a stack of CD's while painting but I have a box full of Audio books on cassettes that I used to listen to on long drives (Hornblower, Master & Commander, Sharpe novels etc) Since I no longer have a cassette player in my car, I hope to arrange one for my painting room before the onset of the winter painting season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ross Mac,

    I also have a large collection of audio books and radio plays on cassette tapes. Unfortunately my only surviving tape player ‘died’ some time ago, and I am trying to find out if there is some way that I can transfer the recordings over on to CDs as the only replacement cassette players I have tracked down are as expensive as a CD player but with poorer sound quality.

    Like you I find audio books very relaxing to listen to when driving, and I also find that they help me to concentrate when I am painting and modelling.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.