Pages

Thursday 28 February 2013

Getting your priorities right

Over the past few days I have had lots of time to think. There is usually not a lot to occupy ones mind whilst sitting at a sleeping relative's bedside ... and since last Friday I seem to have done quite a lot that. I have used the opportunity to do some serious thinking about my wargaming priorities ... and have made several short, medium, and long-term decisions.

In the short-term I want to finish play-testing my nineteenth century land/naval wargames rules. This will include another battle between the Rusland Navy and the Fezian coastal defences, and with a bit of luck I might manage that within the next week or so. I also want to re-visit my MEMOIR OF BATTLE and MEMOIR OF MODERN BATTLE rules, if only because they will give me a break from my PORTABLE WARGAME rules.

In the medium-term I want to get some models made and figures painted for both my nineteenth century and Interwar/World War II projects. For the latter I have to decide between:
  • Using 15mm-scale vehicles with 20mm-scale figures (my current plan … but one that may well be subject to change OR
  • Using individually based 20mm-scale figures and vehicles OR
  • Using 20mm-scale figures mounted on multi-figure bases and individually based vehicles that are compatible with my existing MEGABLITZ collection.
In the long-term I hope to:
  • Re-fight the MADASAHATTA Campaign … or at least a version of it;
  • Build up at least one 54mm-scale FUNNY LITTLE WARS army;
  • Stage an Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War campaign.
These are my current priorities … and all I have to do is to try to achieve them. On paper they look quite simple and easy targets to reach – given enough time – but I suspect that in reality they might be a bit more difficult to attain.

16 comments:

  1. Those sound good and look like reasonable goals. I'm sorry that your father has been unwell. I hope that you all can get back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the inter war period I think there is a better range of figures available in 20mm, look at earlywar miniatures for example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20mm allows the use of HO scale buildings, which can be had used, cheap -- my two favorite words. One of these days, I might get my lazy self up and work up an River War/Omdurman series of fights. Maybe the boom holds and the mines work, now what for the allied forces deprived of a few of their gun boats. What if the shore forces have a few better guns to train on the boats? Maybe then a march onto Cairo, maybe they get support from a European power.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've had lots of time to think while keeping vigil, and have used the time productively. I wish you success with your plans and more importantly hope that whatever you do brings you pleasure and satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also sorry to hear that your father is poorly. It's sometimes good to have a distraction at times like these, and there's no better distraction than thinking about wargaming projects.

    Will look forward to seeing how you go with them.

    Best wishes,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bob,

    As a suggestion my thoughts would be to use individually based 20mm kit - simply because by using some cunning sabot bases you would maintain compatibility with your existing (and I believe, rather extensive) Megablitz collection.

    Operation Barbarossa and Madasahatta will be fun to tackle - both for different reasons but the main thing to bear in mind is that thinking about stuff like this is enormously therapeutic when set against the backdrop of ongoing domestic dramas.

    Thoughts etc and all the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean,

    At least thinking about my priorities kept my mind off other topics.

    My father will probably recover from this particular bout of infections ... but the long-term prognosis is not good.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nigel Drury,

    I suspect that you are right ... and most of what I currently have is 20mm-scale as well, so it would make sense.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. CoastConFan,

    Over the years I have managed to acquire quite a collection of suitable 20mm scale buildings as well ... and it would be a waste not to use them.

    I like the idea for your River War campaign, and would like to see that take place if at all possible.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michael Peterson,

    The exercise certainly kept my mind occupied, otherwise I might have become very depressed by my surroundings. I think my priorities are also reasonably realistic ... for the time being.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prufrock (Aaron),

    Hospitals are not the nicest places to sit and wait, and the exercise kept my mind occupied and diverted.

    I don't know how successful I will be in achieving what I have set out in my blog entry ... but it does give me something to aim for.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  12. David Crook,

    I think that you are right on both counts. Individually based figures are a much more flexible option than multi-figure bases ... and campaigns are much more interesting than one-off battles.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  13. What are your plans for the Eastern Front campaign? Inquiring minds need to know?

    :)

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pete,

    I am planning to go for something along the lines of a 'bathtub' campaign (probably scaled down by about 1:5), but using either MEGABLITZ or my own OPERATIONAL ART rules, where a base equals a regiment or battalion-sized unit.

    That is about as far as I have got. (It is a long-term priority, afterall!)

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  15. I look forward to seeing it. Always been partial to the southern front myself- nice mix of kit and nationalities there.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Peter,

    I have always liked the Hungarian and Romanian Armies (lots of different types of weapons to model!) and look forward to fielding them alongside my Germans and against my Russians.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.