Pages

Friday 8 February 2013

The UK's coastal defence artillery in 1891

As David Crook has already surmised, my latest set of wargames rules have been specifically designed to go with my IMAGI-WORLD OF 1891 project. As it will involve land, sea, and land-sea battles I decided that I need to review the information that I had about coastal defence artillery of the period. Most of my data is about the UK's coastal defence artillery in 1891, so I drew up a list of what was available in the period from 1890 to 1900 on the assumption that most nations would have similar equipment available to them.

The list is as follows:
Rifle Muzzle Loading Guns
  • 17.72" Rifled Muzzle Loading Gun
  • 16" Rifled Muzzle Loading Gun Mk.I
  • 12.5" Rifled Muzzle Loading Gun Mk.I
  • 11" Rifled Muzzle Loading Gun Mk.II
  • 10" Rifled Muzzle Loading Gun Mks.I and II
  • 7" Rifled Muzzle Loading Gun Mk.III

Early Breech Loading Guns
  • 110 pdr 72 cwt. Breech Loading Gun
  • 32 pdr 42 cwt. Breech Loading Gun
  • 40 pdr 32 cwt. and 35 cwt. Breech Loading Guns
  • 20 pdr 16 cwt. Breech Loading Gun

Later Breech Loading Guns
  • 12" Breech Loading Gun Mks.I, II, VI, and VII
  • 10" Breech Loading Guns Mks.I, II, III, and IV
  • 9.2" Breech Loading Gun Mks.I, IV, VI, IX, and X
  • 8" Breech Loading Gun Mk.VII
  • 7.5" Breech Loading Gun Mk.2
  • 6" Breech Loading Gun Mks.I, I/IV, I/VI, IV, VI, V, VII, and VIII
  • 5" Breech Loading Gun Mks.I, II, III, IV, and Mk.V
  • 4" Breech Loading Gun Mks.II, III, IV, V, and VI

Quick Firing Guns
  • 6" Quick Firing Gun B Mks.1, 2, and 3
  • 4.7" Quick Firing Gun Mks.I, II, III, and IV
  • 4" Quick Firing Gun Mk.3
  • 12 pdr 12 cwt. Quick Firing Gun
  • 6 pdr Quick Firing Gun Mks.1, 2, and 3 (Nordenfelt)
  • 6 pdr Quick Firing Gun Mks.1 and 2 (Hotchkiss)
  • 3 pdr Quick Firing Gun Mk.1 (Nordenfelt)
  • 3 pdr Quick Firing Gun Mks.1, 1*, and Mk.2 (Hotchkiss)

8 comments:

  1. Some Big Brutes there Bob.

    Are you able to say where any of these guns are now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim Duncan,

    Other than the obvious Victorian photographs, I took all the photos myself. They were taken in Gibraltar, Landguard Fort (Felixstowe), Fort Nelson (just outside Portsmouth), Fort Regent (Jersey), aboard HMS Warrior (in Portsmouth), Woolwich, Chatham Historic Dockyard, and Tilbury Fort.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I recognised some of the as from the Warrior!

    I have not been to any of the other locations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collection of data and pics Bob, always partial to the early machine guns myself. There is a great spread of them at the Royal Armouries in Leeds.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim Duncan,

    Over the past few years I have managed to visit quite a few sites both in and outside the UK where there were coastal defences.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pete,

    The Royal Armouries, Leeds, is one place in the UK that I would like to visit but have not yet managed to. Perhaps I will now that my wife and I are retired.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm planning on taking my Nephew in his half term holiday. I can take some photos to whet your appetite if you like?

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pete,

    Any photographs would be much appreciated ... and may serve to entice me up there in the near future.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.