Pages

Saturday 16 February 2013

Washing machine blues

Our washing machine 'chose' this afternoon to stop working, and despite my best (but meagre) efforts to fix it, the machine appears to have permanently stopped functioning. LEDs flash (so I know that it is not a power problem) ... but it will not start any of the programs.

At first I thought that it might be a blocked outlet pipe, but after moving the washing machine so that I could get to the outlet pipe, disconnecting the cold water inlet pipe, and finally dismantling the outlet pipe, I discovered that the pipe was clear of blockages.

The next thing I tried was the pump filter, but that was also clear of obstructions. Finally I unplugged the washing machine, waited five minutes, and plugged it in again ... but that did not cure the fault either.

Having exhausted the 'trouble-shooter' section of the instruction booklet, I consulted the Internet ... but none of the proposed solutions were things that I had not already tried. At this point my wife mentioned that the washing machine was over five years old, and that it might need replacing.

I have a feeling that I shall be spending part of tomorrow looking at white goods ... and not painting my new model coastal defence guns.

Ho! Hum! Halcyon days!

6 comments:

  1. Bob, I don't know how these things are in Britain, but when our dryer went out in October, I found a good used one at a local shop for $140US. It has worked fine.

    Good luck with the search!
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven Page,

    The fault may well be in the electronics. I have gone online to find out how much it would cost to repair the washing machine ... and it is about half the cost of a new machine. As the old one is over five years old it makes sense to buy a new one, especially as most retailers seem desperate to sell their stock at discounted prices.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your recent experience with your cars you may want to purchase a washing machine which is more environmentally friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you checked the internal filters, there might be a blockge there, but be warned the sump of the machine can contain quite a bit of water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim Duncan,

    I suspect that over the past five years most washing machines have become more environmentally friendly than our old one was!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fire at Will,

    I checked the internal filter when I checked the pump ... and you were right; it did contain some rather unpleasant water!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.