Pages

Monday 31 December 2018

Looking back ... and moving forward

The last day of the year seems to be an ideal time to look at what I have managed to achieve over the last twelve months ... and to put down some markers as to what I am going to do or want to do during 2019.

2018

Blogging and writing
  • My blog reached the 3,000,000-page views threshold
  • I have written 343 blog entries (including this one)
  • I have written and/or compiled and published four books (THE MADASAHATTA CAMPAIGN, GRIDDED NAVAL WARGAMES, HEXBLITZ, and MASTERS AT WAR VOLUME 1: UP TO 1920) and have a fifth (THE PORTABLE NAPOLEONIC WARGAME) awaiting publication.
Wargaming conferences and special events
  • I have attended the Conference of Wargamers 2018 at Knuston Hall in July
  • I have attended CONNECTIONS UK 2018 at King's College, London, in September
  • I took part in the Second Battle of Jutland event staged by the US Naval War College at the National Maritime Museum in November
Cruises
  • Sue and I visited Spain, France, Italy, and Gibraltar in March
  • Sue and I visited Guernsey, Spain, and France in July
  • Sue and I visited Spain, France, Italy, and Gibraltar in October
  • Sue and I visited Gibraltar, Spain, and Portugal in December
2019

Blogging and writing
  • I am going to try to blog as regularly as I have done in the past
  • I hope to write at least three more books (MASTERS AT WAR VOLUME 2: 1920 to 1945, THE CENTENARY HISTORY OF THE HERTFORDSHIRE MASTERS' LODGE No.4090, and THE PORTABLE COLONIAL WARGAME) [N.B. The research has already been done for the first of these books, and the second is already 80% complete; the last – however – is currently in the very, very early stages of planning, and may not appear until much later in the year.]
Wargaming conferences and special events
  • I have booked a place at the Conference of Wargamers 2019 at Knuston Hall in July
  • I will be unable to attend CONNECTIONS UK 2018 at King's College, London, in September
Cruises
  • Sue and I have booked a cruise to Spain, Portugal, and Gibraltar
  • Sue and I have booked a cruise to Madeira, the Canary Islands, and Spain
  • Sue and I have booked a cruise to Norway, Denmark, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, and Germany
  • Sue and I have booked a cruise to Madeira, the Canary Island, and Portugal
  • [We have also booked a round Britain cruise for 2020!]
In addition to the above, I would like to get my Napoleonic project finished so that I can properly organise my collection and begin to use it on a regular basis. Likewise, I'd like to start work on my Eastern Front/Great Patriotic War project ... but I suspect that it might be one project too far for 2019 and may well end up as my main project for 2020.

8 comments:

  1. Hi BOB,
    You have been very busy- HAPPY NEW YEAR! May 2019 be an excellent Year for You and Sue. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Cheers! May I wish you a great 2019 and hope that you enjoy good health and enjoy whatever you do.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob, I hope you and your good lady have a terrific New Year. Very much looking forward to what you post over the next 12 months, and hopefully will get to say hello in person at Salute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blaxkleric,

      Many thanks for you best wishes ... and may I repicrocate and hope that you have a great 2019 as well.

      I'm hoping to go to SALUTE this year ... assuming that we don't book another cruise in the interim!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Bob, May I take this opportunity to wish you and Sue a Happy New Year and to hope that all goes well for you in 2019.

      My own plans for next year are much less ambitious, being mainly concerned with basing my 10mm Napoleonic armies and completing my collection of Hexon II terrain whereon to fight with them, using your Portable Napoleonic Wargame rules (or my personal adaptation thereof!).
      Best wishes, Arthur
      Regarding your proposed Portable Colonial Wargame book, will you be including 18th century wars such as those in India and the French and Indian War in the Americas, or concentrating upon the 'classic' Victorian campaigns?

      Delete
    3. Arthur1815 (Arthur),

      I'd like to thank you for your best wishes and to wish the same to you and your family.

      I'm hoping that THE PORTABLE NAPOLEONIC WARGAME will be published in the very near future. I'm just waiting for the second printed proof copy of the hardback to be printed and sent to me for approval.

      My PORTABLE COLONIAL WARGAME book will cover the period 1870 to 1910, although I may include a chapter about possible ways to wargame earlier colonial warfare.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Hi Bob, My plan for 2019 is to buy your Portable Colonial Wargame book...:) Happy New year! Cheers, Anthony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anthony Morton (Anthony),

      Well that's a good enough motivation to make me write it!

      Have a great New Year,

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.