Pages

Sunday 4 April 2021

An interesting find poses a question

Over recent weeks I have been slowly working on ways in which I can combine some aspects of FUNNY LITTLE WARS with my PORTABLE WARGAME, and so far, I have put together a 15mm-scale ARMY KHAKI from various previously unused figures I had in my collection. It was whilst I was looking for more figures that would be suitable for this project that I found some figures that I had completely forgotten about ... and this find has posed an interesting question; should I continue with this project in 15mm-scale, or should I use 20mm-scale figures?

The figures in question were acquired via the good offices of David Crook, and are a number of ready-painted Palestinian Campaign World War 1 figures made by TUMBLING DICE. The collection includes the following:

  • Generic
    • 2 Supply wagons, each with 2 horses
    • 2 Pack mules
  • Germans in tropical helmets
    • 3 Mounted officers
    • 2 Field guns, each with 3 crew
    • 1 Limber with 4 horses and 2 mounted drivers
    • 42 Infantry
    • 1 Machine gun with 2 crew
    • 1 Armoured car
  • Germans in peaked cap with neck flaps
    • 2 Officers on foot
    • 1 Mortar and 2 crew
    • 39 Infantry
    • 2 Machine guns each with 2 crew
  • British (?) in tropical helmets
    • 21 Infantry
  • Turks in Kabalak or Enveriye helmets
    • 23 Infantry
  • Turks in Fezes
    • 23 Infantry
    • 2 Machine guns, each with 3 crew

There are sufficient figures in the collection to create several small FLW/PW armies. They do not require much renovation work other than touching up the odd paint chip, and would, after a quick coat of varnish, be ready to base in a matter of days. There are few gaps in the collection, but filling them would not be too difficult or costly.

I am not quite sure what to do, and I am going to take a few days to think things over before deciding whether to sell this small collection on and to use the model to buy more 15mm-scale figures or to leave the existing 15mm-scale FLW/PW collection as it stands and to use these figures as the basis of my future FLW/PW collection.


I have used some of these figures in a number of wargames (most especially the 'Long Live the Revolution! mini-campaign), and they featured in photographs in DEVELOPING THE PORTABLE WARGAME.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Bob -
    A conundrum wrapped up in a quandary wrapped up in a dilemma, withal. Since the existing collection seems to be far along, I'd probably be inclined to keep them - but I'm something of a war games hoarder...

    Speaking of 'Long Live the Revolution', I have resumed the campaign, today having fought out the second battle for the sea port.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I am very, very tempted to keep them ... and even to renovate, varnish, and base up one of the FLW/PW armies ... just to see what it looks like.

      That’s good news about ‘Long Live the Revolution!’ and I look forward to reading your battle report.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hi Bob. I'd like to invite you to join the Wargames group on MeWe. We've got over 600 members who are pretty active and who would really appreciate you being on the team.
    I want you to join my group on MeWe: https://mewe.com/join/wargames

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quid Nunc,

      Thank you for your kind invitation. I shall certainly think about joining the group.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Bob,

    If you did decide to sell then I would be interested as I've been thinking of getting some small forces for the period in 20mm for a while...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Lewis,

      Thanks for your kind offer. If I do decide to get rid of these figures, I’ll be in contact.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. A nice dilema to have. Go for the 20mm, they don't take up a lot of extra room forxa game like PW and they are easier to see, photograph or handle should your body show signs of aging in the years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      I have pretty well reached the same conclusions as you have ... and I am almost on the verge of going down the 20mm route!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.